Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'm flexible/I want the right floor - suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:44 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi,

I'm a newbie - this is my first post but I've been lurking for a couple years. This is gonna be long... But I have 2 years worth of reading/thinking stored up... :)
We are looking to get approx 680 sq ft of wood flooring in the main floor of our house (inc. our kitchen) hopefully in the next year. I'm a research geek (hence the 2 years of lurking) so I have some ideas of what I think I want - or should get but I want to make the best choice. We will most likely be selling this house in the next couple years so the flooring is as much for resale as it is for us. So this is not my forever house and my dream floor. Yes - I want to like it, but I would rather my house and my climate dictate what is most appropriate and try to find something that fits within those parameters.
My husband's only input so far is that he doesn't like hand scraped - I don't particularly care for it either. Seems like a trend and would make the floor less of a candidate for refinishing (but I'm sure I got that information from this forum. :wink: ) I guess my only thing is I don't really care for oak - I don't care for the heaviness of the graining.
SO - I think engineered is my best bet? I thought I wanted the wider plank (5 inch), but I'm pretty sure I'm back down to more like the 3 inch range. We want a mid range stain - again something universally appealing for resale and at least some amount of bevel. If there are good deals to be had in the "lesser" grades of wood I'm open to those. But since it will be in our living room and dining room - it would have to be on a case by case basis.
Might could be interested in the strand bamboo (none of the crazy tiger/zebra business) - don't care for the horizontal at all.
I live in Little Rock AR - so muggy humid summers (highs into the high 90s) for the most part not terrible winters (lows can be around freezing), but they are already predicting lows in the upper teens over night in the next few days. Our house is over a crawl space. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs (who are primarily outside - probably 80%-20%)
If you've read this far THANK YOU! I don't know anything about specific retailers, yes we have "that" dreaded retailer. We have several retailers that carry a variety of brands - Armstrong and Bruce (and Robbins - which I think most of you have nixed) are carried I think by all of them (I'll start another post with some of the brands I've not heard of or haven't seen on here) - a handful of outlets and then the 2 big box stores. As always price is a concern.
So - a sturdy dependable financially responsible family grade floor and flooring people in the Little Rock area. Thanks again!
Lara

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I'm flexible/I want the right floor - suggestions?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

I like hickory, anderson, WD flooring does hardwax oils,

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:07 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hickory *is* my dream floor - but I've never found it to be very budget friendly...

Are you saying Anderson is a good brand for my needs?

Thanks for the reply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 am 
Prized Contributor

dream making Budget friendly floors are rare and floors are a lot like most in life, you get what you pay for. The cost difference between the crappy and the desirable isnt that far apart some times, if you have debated over this for over two years I can guarantee you would be happier in the end either doing less sf or saving a little longer, if you compromise you will be sorry.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 am 
Newbie Contributor

The previous poster had mentioned Hickory, I was just responding to what he said.
I want a solid product for a house I will probably be in for another couple years, sell and then move to my "dream" house.
That's not to say I want a floor with a crappy lifespan - that's what the previous owners of the house we are in now did to us.
I can't afford the Cadillac, I don't want the Yugo - how bout a nice Chevy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:52 am 
Newbie Contributor

I'm carte blanche asking for opinions and no one has one?

Aside from being told to splurge on my dream floor there are no other options? I can differentiate between an emotional response and a wise investment. In this situation I would like to choose the latter.

So if you would please consider the following details:
House in the mid-south (AR)
Over a crawl space
Putting floor throughout entire main floor inc. kitchen (abt 680 sq ft)
Kids and dogs a consideration

Solid? Engineered? Nailed? Glued? Floating? Underlayment? Specie of wood?

Thanks for your help.
Lara

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:56 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi Lara,

My opinion comes from specifically working in the hardwood flooring industry and having been involved with the decision making process of many homeowners such as yourself. I understand that you want a flooring which is affordable and offers a lasting impression which will help sell your home along with your own personal use within the next few years.

I must disagree with the old saying "You get what you paid for". The reason is because in the wood flooring industry as well as many other industries, there are so many factors which drive the price of a product such as sales channels and branding. It goes without saying that if you are willing to pay top dollar it is easy to find a high quality product installed by an experienced and skilled installer. However, if you do your research and learn about the technical side of what makes a flooring perform well, there can be affordable high quality products which can be found.

I could go further into detail about what to look for in a Solid or Engineered wood, but that would probably take me an entire day to write.
The preconceived notion that quality hardwood flooring is unaffordable is just not true in today's market. If you are considering selling your home in the future, most real estate agents will agree that a house with hardwood floors will sell faster or at a higher cost than the same house without wood floors. With the right research, the amount you put into your wood floors can offer a return in investment.

Best of Luck,
Andrew
Unique Wood Floors

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

I'll get back to you later.

As far as buying online. I think this story is more accurate...

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/prepar ... tailer.htm

Of course you will not find information like this on any site that does sell hardwood floors. Also having sold flooring online in the past I'd have to say your best option is buy local solid hardwoods. There are probably a number of them in the hills of Arkansas.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:09 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thank you for getting back to me - I will read the articles.

I've actually found 6-7 mills in AR or very close (MO/TN). I've been in contact with/heard from 4 already. A couple of them don't sell direct but through a distributor here in Little Rock.

Let me reiterate again - I don't have to have hickory floors. A couple of the mills I've heard from put out oak floors - I'd probably go with white (just my preference). Another one does southern pine. What's the feeling about pine as a flooring material?

Would the fact the trees are from the area have any bearing on how well the floors acclimate?

Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:20 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Ken, that is a very comprehensive article. It definitely covers some of the pros and cons of purchasing online. Ultimately, it is up to the retailer to make the right judgement when dealing with a situation such as damaged freight and missing products. If all else equal, buying locally where you can touch the product and see larger sample boards or even showroom floors can make a huge difference in the buying process.

Another major benefit for buying locally is the retailer will often offer installation services, therefore, there will be no finger pointing if a problem arises during the installation phase.

Generally, the region the tree originates from has little to do with the performance of the wood. Some wood species rank higher on stability than others based on cell structure. One main factor that your trusted dealer should look out for is moisture content of the wood when it arrives. The moisture content should be within 2-3 percent of the sub floor before installing. If the wood is well kiln dried, the standard 1 week acclimating should ensure that your wood is ready to be installed.

I would look into the reputation of your dealer through online reviews or referrals to ensure they carry a quality product and if any problems were to arise they will take care of their clients.

Profile E-mail