Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating Bamboo over radiant heat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:38 am 
New User

A local Denver hardwood flooring supplier (who I believe has outlets nationwide) is selling a solid bamboo product they claim is the hardest, most dense material available. It is ½” thick 3 3/4“ wide and made of crushed bamboo fibers oriented in multiple directions. It is much heavier than an ordinary bamboo board of the same size. They are claiming it can be installed over radiant heat with no problem as long as the T&G is glued together and the floor floated.

“No one recommends solid over radiant heated floors. Not very dimensionally stable, as the floor has a greater chance of drying out more during the winters then conventional heated air. Then during the spring and fall, the floor heating is not needed or used, and the floor swells.”

Is this product an exception to that rule because of its multi directional strands? Do any of you guys have experience with this or anything similar? Is it acceptable to create a floating floor by gluing the T&G together? What do the masters think?

Thanks for your help

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:37 am 
Prized Contributor

The OSB of Bamboo.

There are some good and some bad.

Becareful of the resins used in production, in China!! They can be toxic, especially when cutting it.

It is mostly a gluedown, as fasteners tend to bend, or split the tongue.

Post subject: installation methods over radiant heat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:41 pm 
New User

Thank you. The local distributer said the bonding agent was formaldehyde. As a contractor for 20+ years, I am very aware of how harmful fine dust particles are to my lungs. The heads up will be well heeded.

I am still trying to determine the best installation method. There are so many varying opinions. I talked to the Guoya sales rep and he recommends gluing the T&G and floating the floor. I was not able to contact the importer before close on Friday, will try again on Monday. Several installers in this area (Denver) claim they only recommend gluing with the Bostik best adhesive and stapling as well. Each of the installers I have contacted claim they have been using this method for many years in our arid climate over radiant heated floors with satisfactory results (have no way of verifying their stories of course). All claim that the key to success is acclimatization in the installed environment for as long as possible. I thought I was on the right track by having the Brazilian Cherry in my living room for almost a decade! I have since put it on Craigs list and am looking to replace it with a more conducive product. I like the idea that Bamboo is a green product and have been trying to utilize more environmentally friendly techniqes in my building practices. My wife fell in love with the color of the stranded Bamboo and the density is appealing as well. The regular carmalized bamboo in an engineered floor is not an option as its color is almost identical to the cherry cabinets I built. I have not ruled out the possibility of bailing on the bamboo and going with a stained Maple engineered floor. Obviously I am installing this in my own home for my most discriminating client who is tired of me using our living room as a warehouse.

Because of my field I am required to know a considerable amount about a variety of installations. Even though I have installed a few floors (none over radiant heat) I recognize I am definitely not an expert in this particular field. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to impart your wisdom and help me make an intelligent decision that will not cause problems a few years down the road.

Profile E-mail