Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating floor problems - distressing situation!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:19 am 
New User

I had an engineered hardwood floor installed floating over a concrete subfloor in a newly constructed home. The installers were supposed to make sure the floor was level before the installation, but it appears that they did not do this (or at least didn't do a good job).

There were a number of areas where the floor dipped when you step on it (hollow/soft spots). The installers came out and injected some glue underneath to take care of a couple of the major problem areas and told me that the others will go away as the floor settles.

One of the places where they "fixed" the dip always seemed like it was raised too high and it ultimately created a new soft spot next to it. I've asked for installation specifications to make sure the floor is still warrantied but they don't seem to exist.

There also are a few gaps between the boards that are large enough to fit a quarter into.

Is this normal and just a reality of floating floors, or am I correct in thinking that the installation wasn't performed correctly?

The installers are trying to force payment for the remaining balance by threatening to place a mechanic's lien against our property. Incidentally, the work was completed 95 days ago (evidenced by our credit line being charged).

Can a mechanic's lien be filed more that 90 days after completion?

Sorry for the long message - lots of issues and thanks in advance for your advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:01 am 
Prized Contributor

It sounds like you have been HACKED!!!

Gaps, low spots, high spots???

You need an idependent inspection done. An unbiased 3rd party to come in and tell it like it is, without any BS.

Then you will have documents, to sue them for complete replacement of your investment, which they half assed hacked in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:45 am 
New User

Thanks Floorguy. Also, I saw one of the threads you posted to and I was very impressed with your installation pictures. Didn't see anything like that going on at my house.

If we get a 3rd party inspector I presume that we would have legal recourse for shoddy workmanship even if our bill was paid in full??

Also, any insight into the mechanic's lien question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

They injected adhesive underneath a floating install?? That voided whatever warranty you might have had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

It is called a counter suit. I would tell them like this..

As soon as you get over here and install my floor according to manufacturers and industry standards, I'll pay you, but until then I'm getting bids to correct or replace what you have totally screwed up, in case you fail to see your lack of craftsmanship and the ability to follow manufacturer and industry REQUIREMENTS!!!