Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating floor repair.
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:23 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

How would you repair floating glue thogether floor not the click kind.
There is high moisture in the place. Floor rised in the middle of the house, replacing the half of the house is too expensive.
Baseboards are off. There is enough gap now but after a week the floor did not settled down.

Is there a way to take the boards form the middle?
How would you disconnect the boards that were glued.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:22 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

I know how to do it but I'm not gonna tell you. :lol: It's is very exacting work repairing laminate floors and the guys who can do it well get paid very well to salvage a floor gone bad. I live in Contra Costa Co., not that far. I'll drive over and look at it if you want for my normal consultation fee. Then I'll tell you what it will cost to repair that floor properly. If your are a contractor, and I suspect you are, add 10 to 15% to my bill and give it to the homeowner. Hang around and watch me repair that floor and you'll get a paid education. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:53 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary, Can a engineered floor be stapled in areas with plywood underlayment and floated on the rooms it flows into with particle board? Best pad?

The underlayment is glued down and the floor pro that I would have do 3/4 wood said it would be a big job to remove it, and my thoughts of 3/8 inch triangalo is now a consideration, though he is not interested when I mentioned you have to glue 3 1/4 inch together. Sounds punishing!

I guess even with tearing out the glued underlayment (700 feet), I would still be ahead versus the price of engineered. How hard of a job is it to remove glued underlayment? I hoped this was a part I could do with my 12 and 15 year to save save a little on the job, plus help educate them in hard work.

He quoted me 4.65 plus wood for install, sand and finish with Traffic products, 4.00 if I go cash. He said he hardplates his work. I live in Appleton Wi where 10/hour jobs are common, nice 20 year old homes go for 140 k. Thank you very much for your kind advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:47 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Quote:
Gary, Can a engineered floor be stapled in areas with plywood underlayment and floated on the rooms it flows into with particle board? Best pad?

If the manufacturer says the floors can be stapled or floated, you could do both BUT you must separate the installation methods by using a T-mold where the floors come together. If they are in separate rooms and will not be joining, then no problem. Just don't float one side of a room and staple the other half.
Quote:
How hard of a job is it to remove glued underlayment? I hoped this was a part I could do with my 12 and 15 year to save save a little on the job, plus help educate them in hard work.

Hard to say but demolition is usually hard work. Personally, I think the idea of having your sons work with you on this phase is an excellent idea. It will save you money, teach them something and have that valuble father/son time together, working factor.
Quote:
He quoted me 4.65 plus wood for install, sand and finish with Traffic products, 4.00 if I go cash.

That is cheap by CA. prices. Sounds as if he is willing to work "under the table". All I can say is get references and check up on them. Ask to see a few of his last floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:38 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I feel intimidated by asking you guys questions as I know, as mine, your livelihood depends on maintaining quality standards for your profession. I am happy to just observe and learn. Others just think good enough is a standard and it must be hard to answer questions when you know your passion is being disserviced.

I cut a square between the nails of the underlayment and tried to pry it out with a chisel, and all I got was shredded wheat on all four sides of the particle board splitting the center and nothing deeper. Is it possible the glue was trowelled on and this is a nightmere waiting to happen? Will the subfloor be irrepairably damaged?

When I think of DYI jobs for a finished project I think "why practice on my home, one of my biggest investments I have". Thus I will hire a pro.

Thanks again. Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:35 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Gary e mail at rafal@davincifloors.com I would be very much interested in your help with fixing the floating floor.
Thanks Rafal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:26 am 
Prized Contributor

Wiwbar, I don't know what they used underneath the PB but if its glued down it's not coming up without replacing the subfloor along with it. Replacing a subfloor is a real job, since the walls are sitting on top of it I would avoid that at all cost.

It's real unusual to see PB glued down. Try it again, make sure the saw is cutting completely through and extend the cuts at all 4 corners so it is completely cut out. Then use a catpaw and remove any underlayment nails in that cut piece before you try to remove it. It should lift out if its not glued.

Profile E-mail