Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating installation with bowed (banana) boards.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:20 am 
New User

Hey guys, first let me say thanks for the great site and all of the wonderful help and advice that you provide, this is by far the best place I have found for good solid un-biased advice. This is my first post but I have been lurking and using the search function for the last 2 months while I did the research for my flooring project.

I have 1100 sq/ft of 1/2" x 5" x 48" RL engineered wood floor to install in a single level slab home that is built into the side of a hill so it is basically below grade.

Slab is existing and has been tested dry twice. Since we get such wild weather & RH swings here in Nebraska I decided that floating the floor would be better than glue down to allow me to use a moisture barrier (also easier for the DIY). Slab is flat with NO spots over 1/8" out.

My 40 cartons of wood came in on Friday and over the weekend I moved them into my house to start the acclimatization process. I could not help my self and opened four cartons to lay them out w/o any glue to see how everything looked and went together. Right away I noticed that some of the 48” long boards were bowed (banana boards). In four cartons there were 32- 48” long boards and about ½ of them were banana boards. When laid on a flat surface the center of the board will be up approximately .125” to .250” (Other than the two worst ones that were .5625” raised in the center). They press down to level fairly easily. The boards fit together perfectly on the edges and ends and I could not me happier with the appearance of the wood. The short pieces out of the cartons seem to be a lot better with almost no noticeable bow. In the first four cartons it appears that at least 20% are bowed.

I slipped together approximately 100 sq/ft culling out the worst of the banana boards but using the more moderate ones, and there are some places in the area that the weight of the wood is not holding the boards flat and there is a little bit of flex in the floor when pushed down on.

Can I do a floating instillation with this product?
Will glue and proper acclimatization make the floor lay flat?

I plan on raising these same concerns with flooring retailer (not this site) but before I do that I want to figure out how bad of shape I am in. I love the floor and it is about only product I could find in my price range with the look I wanted. If it is decided that I cannot float it, I may consider doing a glue down in lieu of returning the product (after I get some reimbursement from retailer that said this product could be floated)

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

With sincere thanks

Ben Bramble
Nebraska

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

If everything fit together easy, then it would not be a concern to me. As you lay in a random pattern, with very random end joints, it all works itself out, with the strength in the random ends. No stair stepping, and keep the endjoints away from each other according to the manufacturer, 6" is usually the number. No H joints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:16 pm 
Valued Contributor

the boards are bowed.
Over 1" is a problem if memory serves.

all is well, just a bit more difficult to install. Let the wood acclimate long enough and see if other problems develope. Just to make sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:39 pm 
New User

THANKS!!!!

That is very reassuring to hear from you guys,

I do have one more question.

As I install this floor should be worried about the bowed banana boards causing problems? Or if installed properly they will the floor take care of its self?
I understand what Flooring Guy said about the random joints end joints being the strength of the floor and I do think that by mixing up the long bowed boards with shorter ones I will be able to keep every thing relatively flat.

My major concern is a floor with squeaks and cracks and I am worried that may happen with these bowed boards adding a little bit of flex. I really don’t care if the floor moves as long as it does not make noise.

I realize that floating a floor has some disadvantages and there is always going to be a little bit of movement compared to a “true” hardwood floor.

Once again thanks for all of your help.

I have been doing this house all by my self nights and weekends for the last 3 months and I am excited to start laying floors.