Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating Kahrs parallel to the floor joists
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:55 pm 
New User

I'm considering a DIY installation of Kahrs' Oak Granada 3-strip in a room that is 12x20', and I would like to float this floor with the planks running along the length of the room. However if I do this the planks will be parallel with my floor joists and I've read on this forum that this could create problems.

I read the Kahrs installation guide and I couldn't find anything that said their planks must be installed perpendicular to the floor joists, so I called Kahrs' technical support and they said that as long as the floor is floated it is not attached to the subfloor and therefore can be installed in any direction.

This seems to run counter to everything else I've read. Has anyone here floated a Kahrs floor parallel to the joists?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:09 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

As long as the substrate (subfloor) is FLAT, laying the Kahrs with the floating install method parallel to the joists is not a problem. Don't confuse apples and oranges. Floating a floor and nailing a floor down are two very different install methods requiring different parameters. A floating floor only requires a sound flat substrate. It adds no structural integrity to the building. Not so with a 3/4" T&G nail down floor, which will substantially increase the rigidity of a subfloor structure.