Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating Subfloor Sounds Hollow -R.S.V.P.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:03 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi, I finally walked on a solid oak over floated subfloor, and I didn't like the hollow sound, even with Volara foam underneath. Is there any way to make them feel solid without fasteners?

1.) Do any of you ever glue the plywood subfloor to the MVP with Bostick's Best WITHOUT fasteners and does it feel solid? I'm still freaked out about puncturing the membrane.

2.) Gary and others mentioned gluing cheap vinyl to concrete, but no mention as to name of glue, or type of vinyl...is it felt backed?

3.) Which glue sticks to the sheet vinyl, and can the CDX be glued to this without fear of failure down the road, or do I have to nail it?

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I have mentioned the type and brand of adhesive I use when gluing plywood subfloors to vinyl vapor barriers but it's been quite awhile. For the vinyl, I use Mannington Vega, which is about as cheap as I've found. It needs to be glued down FULL SPREAD. Use a quality vinyl adhesive for felt backed vinyls. It doesn't take much adhesive for vinyl. A very small notched trowel works best. I then use Franklin 811 Advantage ( http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP ... prodcat=13 )
Franklin used to says this adhesive was specially developed for gluing to vinyl vapor barriers. Now that they market their own, they're no longer mentioning that. For extra security, scuff up the vinyl first using a screen and a buffer to knock off the shine.
BTW, I have always nailed and glued my plywood down, figuring that the vinyl and subfloor adhesive will seal around the nails.
BTW, Franklin does give instructions on direct gluing plywood to concrete but you will need to use a vapor barrier of some sort, either their's or the vinyl.