Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floating "wood" floor in ski condo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 pm 
New User

Hi, I have a 5th story condo in northwest colorado that I live in all winter and about a month in the summer. There is currently a mix of ceramic tile and then berber carpet over gypcrete and I'd like to replace both with a wood floor product. The gypcrete is in fair condition and an installer recommended a floating floor. I've even thought of doing a wood floor throughout rather than replacing the ceramic with a new tile or stone. The entrance gets a little water from snow off ski boots, but I keep a rug there and moisture rarely makes direct contact with the floor. I've looked at numerous laminate/engineered floors, but am exasperated with the options and lack of an unbiased opinion. We keep a humidifier going all winter and while we're there for a month in the summer, but the rest of the time the place is locked up. I'm concerned about warping, peeling, cupping, sound, etc. Could someone please recommended the best product for this application? Thanks so much for any assistance!

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Floating "wood" floor in ski condo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:08 pm 
Prized Contributor

Stone

Seriously though, for hardwood, even engineered types, to have any reasonable success and stability, you will need to maintain decent conditions at all times, not just while you are in residence.
There is what we call "greenhouse effect" found in unoccupied spaces that is caused by lack of air exchange, lack of moisture introduced into the air through cooking processes, showers, etc. and many other things that can cause a failure of your floor. You need to determine what the ambient conditions of the space are during the winter while you are in residence, and set up a plan to maintain those same conditions during the summer months when you are not there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
New User

I see. So if we are able to maintain ideal environmental conditions, is there a particular type of engineered flooring (keeping in mind that it must be floating) that you would recommend? I've just come across a product called "Konecto" which is actually strip vinyl flooring that looks amazingly hardwood-like. Are you familiar with it?
Thanks so much for your help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

Konecto has the same ambient temp requirements and actually...IMO engineered wood would be better. Just don't let it get above 85F which it probably does not do much in CO does it? Talk to neighbors that have hardwood and see what they do.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:30 am 
Prized Contributor

There are several float floor manufacturers that I could recommend. Keep in mind that if one place has material on for 3 bucks a foot and down the street someone has a different floor for 6 bucks a foot, there are probably more differences than just the price. More than any other product the old adage "you get what you paid for" applies to hardwood flooring.
If your budget allows, buy a North American or European product.
Examples of quality products: Kahr's, Mirage, Torly's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 am 
New User

Thank you so much for all your help! Your expertise has helped me realize that, in my particular situation, carpet would be best. You guys very likely saved me a lot of time, money and headache. Thanks again and have a great day! TJ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

But crapet gets disgusting and as it may not wear out, it uglys out in a couple years. Basically a throw away floor IMHO, worse than any cheap laminate.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail