Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: flood causes cupped wood floor boards
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:29 pm 
New User

I recently expereinced a flood which has caused my 3/4" solid Brazilian Cherry floor (4" wide boards) to cup. It has now been 4 days of drying, but I don't see much change. Has anyone experienced cupping, and will the boards go back down after they dry? Also, I understand that it may take a while for the boards to dry. Any idea how long this might take? Can I sand the cupping out, and refinish? Thanks.[/b]

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:33 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Posted in the wrong place! Try again in "Yikes, I have a problem".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:58 am 
Worthy Contributor

Guaging from what you said, it was a major event. If thats the case, I expect the only further change you will see in the forseeable futre is more cupping and buckling. More than likely there is plenty of water still under the wood and in the subfloorand my guess is, you ain't seen nothin yet.
The only real way to fix a major water damage is total replacement, that is if you want to sleep well at night. I have seen floors that were water damaged, allowed to dry for months and months, sanded and finished, only to have them crown 1 year later.
If you were to try to save that floor, you should expect massive gapping throughout as BC is not a stable material. It will expand excessively, crush the side fibers and when it eventually contracts, those fibers will remain crushed. If you were to try to save it, you should rent dehumidifiers and install them both on and under the floor. I wouldn't bother if it were mine.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

I go along with Marco on this one. Once cupped and fiber damage along the edges... No fixin it. You can allow time to dry and make it look better, but not back to "normal".. This will take a long time to dry.