Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor Finish
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:45 pm 
New User

I am putting in unfinished red oak flooring. I was told that Moisture Cure is the best finish for the floors. There is 1300 square feet of flooring to be finished. The floor is also being installed in the bathroom. Is the Moisture Cure the best finish for this? If not what can be recomended? How easy is the Moisture Cure to work with for a DIY? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:59 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Don't even attempt to apply moisture curing urethane floor finish! It is highly flamable, toxic and difficult to work with plus it is for professional use only If you want that floor finish, hire a pro who has experience applying it. Bona Traffic is almost, if not, as durable and much safer to apply and will not yellow like the MC will. Both are expensive and are for professional use only. The easiest floor finish for DIYers is a quality oil-based polyurethane. I suggest Minwax Fast Drying in QUARTS (not the 350 VOC crap) or if you can get it, Woodline or Basic or DuraSeal. Waterbased finishes are good but dry very fast and you must know what you are doing when using them. Solid wood floors in full bathrooms are not a good idea. No finish will make them moisture proof and you risk them warping from the high humidity.

Post subject: Floor Finish
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:48 pm 
New User

Is there any finish that is better than another for a bathroom? Is the moisture cure the best finish for a bathroom? Can anyone reccomend a reputable professional finisher in the state of Maine? I appreciate any help on this. Thanks.
Jodi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:19 am 
Prized Contributor

I would be surprised if you can even buy moisture cure in the state of Maine. The best finish for a bathroom would be tile or marble, seriously their is no finish that will compleatly seal the floor where it will be waterproof .

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail