Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor finishing technique?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:25 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I have always used a lambs wool to apply oil base poly, sometimes I leave lint from the wool behind in the floor...Its usually minor and very rarely get a call back because of it. Is there a better way to apply oil base without leaving lint or particles in the floor. I do vaccuum good and then always tacked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:31 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If you can do a good job with lambswool, then keep using what your comfortable with. When using lambswool aplicators, I will launder a new one then let it air dry before putting into service. DON"T PUT IT IN YOUR DRYER! Washing it first will help in eliminate some of the extra lint. Keeping it damp in the solvent you're using will help it from shedding. And buy quality lambies! Cheap ones will shed on you more than the best ones will. Other than that, you could try a T-bar with the synthetic flocked aplicators. For smaller floors, I use a 10" Padco cut in pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:58 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I just use a 6" China Bristle brush. For what little oil I use, its good and reliable. I have also used the 10" swedish china bristle, but they're getting harder to find.

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:12 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Fallisi:
For the final coat (and sometimes for previous coats, too) I have learned to roll the finish because it has more finesse for the final coat. I use a Purdy White Dove 3/8 inch whether for water-based OR oil-based. However, some oil-based don't roll well such as . . . Duraseal oil. The ones that do roll well are Parks Pro Finish, Lenmar, Fabulon. I haven't tried all that's out there, but those are the ones I've tried.
Rolling is done most frequently in Europe.
Charlie

By the way, to get the fibers off of the good quality lambswool, I usually beat the crap out of them! lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: applicator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:42 am 
Newbie Contributor

I have taken a new lambswool applicator, knocked off the loose fibers by hand and put into a bucket of mineral spirits to soak for a little bit. Swirling it around a little bit i think helps knock off some fibers. Then after the job, ill store it in the mineral spirits between coats. After the job, that gets tossed and i start the process over again for the next job