Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor layout question.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:49 am 
Newbie Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've checked the archives for prior discussions on proper wood flooring in a room but have come up dry.

We have two rooms off the foyer entrance that will receive the flooring. Once you step into the foyer through the front door, there is a stairway in about 3 feet from the front door that goes upstairs. On the left is the living room that is 25'L x 13'W. On the right is a dining room that is 14'Lx 12'W. The foyer will also receive wood floor.

This will be a slab installation using the NOFMA's recommendations for 3/4' hardwood flooring on slab. From my research on laying out a floor, racking should be done using the longest length of the room.

My challenge is that the foyer is "L" shaped. I would like the flooring to run the same throughout the first floor. In many pictures I've seen of wood flooring in foyer entrance's, the layout is horizontal (left to right). Is there a reason for this or is it just personal preference? If I do this, when I come to the living room and dining area, I will need to change direction of the floor to run the long length of the room. I personally would like to run the strips wide wise versus length wise.

Any thoughts on how to handle this issue?

Best...Stan

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:59 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Quote:
In many pictures I've seen of wood flooring in foyer entrance's, the layout is horizontal (left to right). Is there a reason for this or is it just personal preference?

Flooring is to be laid at right-angle to the floor joists. In 9 out of 10 homes we do, that means the flooring runs left-to-right thru the house as you enter the front door. Just the way they build them, I guess. But since you are going over slab, you can choose your direction.

Quote:
NOFMA:
Direction of finish flooring. Direction of finish flooring should be at right angles to the joists as shown in Fig. 4. This is generally the longest dimension of the room or building and gives best appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:21 pm 
Worthy Contributor

What DC says is true, but I have never seen a site finished floor, with the hall run any direction other then the long way, regardless which way the joists ran. But since your on slab, (as noted) you can run it which ever way YOU think looks best.