Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor Leveling issue with Glue Down Engineered Hardwood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:19 am 
New User

Hello,

I just had my concrete slab floor leveled by a contractor in preparation to install glue down engineered hardwood floors. The contractor used Mapei planipatch and a 10' level.

I've read that planipatch is fast setting but my floors took over a day to dry. It has now been 6 days since my floors were leveled and the planipatch isn't as strong as the concrete. Is this typical? By not as strong I mean I can scrape my fingernail across and leave an indentation. Also, in some places I can just wipe the planipatch off the concrete with my finger (mainly the high spots). Also, there are pits in the patch as well. What could cause this?

I really can't tell how well overall the planipatch is bonded to the floor which concerns me since the flooring will be glued to it. Is it okay to proceed with the installation or should I be concerned?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Floor Leveling issue with Glue Down Engineered Hardwood
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:22 pm 
Prized Contributor

Mapei planipatch was made for this type of repair. Bubbles that dry in the surface can leave little pits which will not affect the holding strength of the glue. Underlayment mixes need a certain amount of water to dissolve the cement and latex that makes it flow. It does not need to get super hard to be a good base for the engineered plank. Other types of underlayment liquid need to get harder if being exposed or covered with a softer vinyl.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Floor Leveling issue with Glue Down Engineered Hardwood
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:35 am 
New User

Thanks for the info Pete. Much appreciated.

Profile E-mail