Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor leveling questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:18 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

I've started my floor leveling over a joined living room and dining room (divided by a double door entry). I think it is going OK after my first pour of two bags of Levelquick. Though, I do need more SLC as I apparently did not put enough down the first time.

Here is my question: From a measuring perspective, I am getting slightly different measurements as I position my string at different points around the rooms. I can measure an area one way and note more than the usual 1/8" difference, then when I move my string to, say, 90 degrees off (or 180 off), I may see much less than the noted 1/8". So, I'm saying I am getting different measurements of the same area as I move the measuring device around the room. Is this normal? Do I simply take multiple measurements and make my best guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:54 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

While a string is good for brick layers and making a straight line, it isn't the best tool for finding high and low spots. The pros don't use that approach so that should tell you something. Go to the lumber yard and find the straightest, driest 10 ft. 2x4 you can find. Move that around in different directions to locate high and low areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:47 pm 
Prized Contributor

I do not use that string method either. A few years back I started using a 1"dia. long and straight black "gas line" pipe. I can roll it around and easily locate problems. Low spots you can obviously see underneath, and it will teeter-totter over the high spots.

If you try that do not use a plastic pipe, it has to real rigid.

Profile E-mail