Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor over tongue and groove 2x6s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm 
New User

Do i need to put plywood or something on top of the 2x6 tongue and groove dimensional lumber that has been the support for the carpet i am about to remove and replace with a wood floor? It's not as level as it would be if it were plywood.

Thanks,
Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:02 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yes, you will need to install 1/2" CDX plywood over that subfloor.

This is included in the subfloor and underlayment sticky in the General Hardwood Forum.
Quote:
There are other, older and not used anymore subfloor systems one may encounter. Such as: 1&1/8" T&G plywood subfloor installed at 90 deg to 4x6 beams spaced 4' oc.
1&1/2" x 5" T&G solid fir deck boards installed at 90 deg. to 4 x6 beams spaced 4' oc.
1x8 solid fir/pine boards installed at 90 deg to joists spaced 16" oc
1" RED-X T&G particle board subfloor installed at 90 deg to joists spaced 2' oc.
3/4" or 5/8" particle board found mostly today in modular and mobile homes.
These subfloors should NOT be removed but overlayed with 1/2" CDX plywood that is well stapled (2" around perimeter and 6" oc.) or glued or screwed. In all cases, subfloors and underlayments are to be flat to within 3/16" in a 10' radius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:52 pm 
Prized Contributor

I have to disagree. You can lay over the lumber at 45 or 90º to it, but not in the same direction.

In many of the older homes here, it is done just like that with most all running on a 45º under the flooring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:43 am 
New User

I found this on the Shaw flooring site.

Quote:
Do not install over nailed floors that exceed 3-1/4" in width. Wide width floors must be overlaid with plywood.

When installing over existing wood floors parallel with the flooring, install an additional 1/4" layer of plywood to stabilize the flooring, or install the new wood floor perpendicularly.

I haven't decided on a final pattern yet but i will be adding a border around the perimeter of the room(s). The border will be running parallel to the existing 2x6s, so i'm hoping the 1/4" plywood will do.

I probably will have more questions as i get into this. I'm pretty handy, but have only installed laminates in the past.

thanks for both of your answers.