Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor prep/transition
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:22 pm 
New User

I am currently considering replacing my vinyl kitchen floor with a 3/4" solid Brazilian Cherry. Under the vinyl there is a 1/8" underlayment that is glued and nailed/stapled to a 23/32" plywood subfloor over a finished basement. When I began to try and pull up the underlayment it did nothing but flake apart in very small pieces. Can I leave this layer down or does it have to come up? If it has to come up is there any suggestions on how with out damaging the subfloor? If it can stay in place how would I transition to my foyer that has 3/4" solid oak, the kitchen would be 1/8" higher? If I can leave the underlayment in place should I consider installing a floor that is less than 3/4" thick and make up the difference in thickness with another layer of underlayment?

Thank you in advance for you advice, any help would be appreciated I could really use some direction.

PMC

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:31 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Are you sure it's only 1/8"? That's pretty skinny for a vinyl underlayment. It must be a door skin or something like that. If it's not coming up and it's only 1/8", then just lay over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:47 am 
New User

Thanks Gary, the underlayment is only 1/8" I have pulled of some base boards, the riser leading from my foyer and some vinyl in two places, and it all measures 1/8". It dosen't suprise me because its one of many short cuts this crook of a builder made. If I leave it down how should I handle the transition from my foyer since the kitchen would then be an 1/8" higher? Or should I consider somthing thinner than a 3/4" solid for the kitchen?
PMC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:43 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Ideally, removing the vinyl would be the way to go but if it isn't coming up, then leave it and go over it. It doesn't sound like you are attempting to lace into the existing floor so you will need a transition trim of some kind. You could go ahead and put in your 3/4" floor and use a baby threshold or T-moulding at the point where they meet. On the moulding, take an 1/8" off the side that is higher to get the trim to sit flat. My concern would be getting the flooring's color size and grain pattern to match more than a 1/8" height difference. It would be best to stick with the same type of floor UNLESS you are trying to make them different. Then, in that case, you can do whatever you want. Just use a transition moulding between the two floors.