Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FLOOR REFINISH - TOTAL NOVICE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:44 pm 
New User

Hello all,
I have looked all through the site and have learned much. here is the question/situation:
I have hardwood floors that i think were always under carpet. the finish (shellac?) is very thin, dry and flaking under the furniture areas from scraping. I wanted to have the floors redone and in the initial searches found something called MR. SANDLESS.
After learning from here, it seems that MR.S is a screen and buff service that uses what they say is a proprietary finish/sealant.
There is a 5 yr. guarantee and a quote of $850 for two rooms and hall and stairs (no stairs, just two halls here)
I can be handy but not sure if i'm up to the task of even screening the floors.
1. ever heard of MR.SANDLESS franchise?
2.Should I let them do this for this price or would it be better to fully refinish the floors or
3.wait and try it myself.
This is a coop apartment which i don't think i'll be living in forever.

Thanks for any and all information.
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:49 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

You may want to get a few other bids from other local refinishing experts, just to make sure you're choosing the right person for the job. Mr. Sandless is a franchise I believe. It doesn't comment on the qualifications of the franchise owner. 5 yr. warranty? More than likely a tail light warranty. Here's the scoop. Without a proper inspection, no one can commit to a "screen and recoat" because many older floors were waxed after shellac. You need to find out if your's were. Personally, I'd look into a complete refinish, unless you're not too picky about how the floors look.