Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floor runner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:12 pm 
Hi guys , new to the forum .. Have a quick question , I am looking for a floor runner type of stapler that will do 3/4 in hardwood .. I can only get to within 4
boards with my Bostich .. I see them for the 1/2 inch , and 9 / 16 ..
Any info would be appreciated ..

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Yea, the last few boards are a pain, aren't they. As fas as I know, there is no stapler/cleat nailer that works closer than the one you got for 3/4". You can get right to where the the black rubber plunger knob is hitting the wall and that's it; the wall's in the way. So, just move the wall out of the way! :lol: Just kidding! What I do and most guys I know do is use a 15 gauge finish nailer for those last few rows. Stanley-Bostitch makes a good one, I use Senco and I've heard good reports about Hitachi's. You want to use a #15 gauge nail, not those thin little wire brads. Since I use a SEnco, I use DA21 nails. They work very well. So I toe nail with that until I can't toe nail with it anymore then I face nail the flooring. It certainly slows you down. Some guys report they glue and nail the last few rows. I only glue when I can't nail, like under cabinet toekicks. Anyway, if there's a better way, I'd like to hear it so I could save myself some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:26 pm 
I do the same thing as you do Gary , Thats why i am looking for a floor runner .. I dont glue anything though , i face nail and putty it .. [ exception].
stair nose .. I could be wrong , But if i glue the last couple of boards , Dosent that defeat the purpose of cutting it 1/4 shy for expansion ? Thanks for the reply ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:52 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

No, because flooring adhesives are designed to expand and contract with the flooring without breaking their bond. BTW, the Floor Runner isn't made for 3/4" and I guess you know that. It uses those skinny little staples that are fine for engineered but not for 3/4" solid. Plus the staples are too short. And I don't glue the last few rows either. I've just heard that some guys like to do it that way. Don't think it would matter on a few boards near the walls though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:16 pm 
Learn something new every day .. You would think some one would have one on the market .. there sure is a need for one .. take care ..