Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HW flooring choices narrowing, but not quite there...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:45 pm 
New User

hi - I'm planning on laying a floating engineered maple 5" T&G floor on a slab @ grade. I would like a relatively clear maple. Darker tones and a few dark spots ok, but not a lot. I'm in northern CA, just for reference.

I spent the day shopping and I feel that I have narrowed it down pretty well, but I would really appreciate a sanity check (for the flooring thoughts anyway :-).

I saw mirage maple and they are asking $10/ft. I thought it was the nicest that I saw in terms of the wood, finish, and even the micro-channel seemed smaller and very consistent. I liked it a lot, but $10 seems like a lot.

The other 2 more likely choices are:
1. Urban Maple Natural @ $6/foot. 8 layers including a 4mm wear layer. Very nice looking.

2. Somerset @ $6, multi-layer and a 2mm wear layer. This looks nice too, but all else being equal, I would choose a 4mm layer.

How much can I count on the sample that I see in a showroom? Are Somerset and Urban brands that I can depend on in terms of consistency?

Any comments/suggestions really appreciated!

thx,
rob

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: HW flooring choices narrowing, but not quite there...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:49 am 
Worthy Contributor

Mirage is a top notch product and there is a reason they can command that price. It's a great product. (Although it may be priced slightly higher due to import fees and branding).

HOWEVER, if it's going to be a floating floor, I don't think the wear layer matters since you can't refinish it (since it's floating).

Debbie Gartner, aka The Flooring Girl
http://TheFlooringGirl.com
Westchester County, NY

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:50 am 
New User

thx Debbie! I have only finished one floor, Canadian maple nail-down, 3/4" t&g, so my depth of knowledge is pretty shallow :-)

What would prevent refinishing a floating floor? It's not obvious to me.

thx,
rob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:12 pm 
Prized Contributor

If you want to float the floor id recommend one with a locking system before I edge glued it. I wanna say that of those three Mirage is the only one that offers a locking system. If it were me on grade I would glue it down direct to the slab. Its a more solid feel underfoot and would allow re-sanding of the floor later down the road. You cant resand a floating floor because the floors moves as you walk across it causing chatter and edge cut from the drum.

www.HeartlandHardwoodFlooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:21 pm 
New User

thx for that Kevin - I'll have to reconsider on the glue down. Do you ever like floating? I thought that one of the advantages of a floating floor is that you could put down that foam layer to keep out dampness. What are your thoughts in that regard.

thx,
rob

Profile E-mail