Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floors in New Construction Condo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:59 pm 
New User

I've been looking at condos in South Florida and some of them are
"designer ready", which seems to mean stripped to the bare floors and
walls. I'm trying to get a grasp on what its going to cost, as they said the flooring is the most expensive item. Units range from 1600 to 2100sq ft, although I guess some of that is bathrooms and kitchen which would use other materials.

What are the costs I can expect to floor one of these units with various materials (low end -> high end), and does anyone know what the limitations are for these sort of things? ie can you hire anyone, or do they have to be approved by the building generally? The RE has quoted some numbers that seem awfully high.

Thanks

Allie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

"ie can you hire anyone?"

Sure

"or do they have to be approved by the building generally?"

Its always a good idea to check the building specs for sound control. All of the condo work I was involved in used 1/4" cork underlayment (Naples-Ft.Myers area)

Costs? Low end? I suppose you could go with a [url=http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/br111_516_engineered_hardwood_floors.htm]
BR111 engineeered[/url] for around $ 3.05 per square foot floated over the cork. Cork underlayment could run from $1.00 to $ 1.50 ---add another .50 to $ 1.00 to glue it down. Check condo specs if the cork can be floated--reduce labor costs. Installation labor for the hardwood could range from $ 1.75 up to $ 3.50 depending on who does the work.

So where does that lead us to? $ 7.30 per square foot if you take the mid road. There will be taxes on materials.

High end? I've seen some expensive ones is my time. Using an example of the Bruce Studio B on our site that sells in the $8.00 square foot range you would need to add adhesive which can run around $ 1.50 square foot for both the cork and hardwood.

Final tally here would be $13- $15.00 but I've mentioned our material prices. Retailer cost could add on another 30-50% There are other options, but these two come to mind.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:47 pm 
New User

Ken hit the nail on the head--It depends!!

Most new condos require sound barrier (cork or other) and it depends on the price of the wood. THere are some deccent alternatives out there so keep looking. Suggest you go directly to some of the installers in your local area--many of them buy directly from the supplier and have less markup because they make some of their profit on the install.