Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floors Refinished - Look Terrible
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am 
New User

Hello - We just had 1800 sq ft of oak wood floors refinished in our 3400 sq ft colonial home. They were sanded, scraped and an initial coat of poly was applied without a concern. Two days later they came back to put second coat of oil based polyurethane down. We peeked at 1st floor briefly - looked shiny but we saw "stuff" in the wet poly. Next day we checked and saw the "stuff" did not settle or go away. There were granules, bumps, lumps (like rice krispies), hair, and brush bristles scattered throughout the den, LR, DR, stairway, hall, and 4 bedrooms. Where the finish has no "stuff" on it, it looks good in the floor areas and is smooth. But these blemishes appear throughout all areas. The stairs, on the other hand, feel like sandpaper. We had asked for a satin finish but it appears as a semi-gloss on the floors. Called owner who agreed to come look. Upon entering the home, he looked at LR and said "this is a great job!" When showed the blemishes, he said we were too picky and that this was as good as it gets. He finally agreed to come back himself to screen sand all the floors and put poly down himself but he said it would look the same as it was right now! That makes no sense. I called the other owner (the dad) and he was rude on the phone not letting me speak calmly to address our concerns. Kept talking over me saying we are too picky and that the "bubbles" he called them, would wear down in time. He said he didn't need us or the headache. When I said I wanted to work this out and wanted to be able to tell my three neighbors, who he have estimates to, that we were satisfied with the outcome, he said "I don't need their business - I have plenty of work." When he finally let me speak I asked him if he saw the pictures I sent his son. He simply responded that his son took picture too and that his pictures look fine. Why should I let these people back in my house to try to rectify the problems when they don't see problems and say that it will come out the same as it is now? The kicker is they were recommended by 3 friends and a realtor who used them and recommends them to new buyers. Maybe it was a new crew that didn't have the needed training. Appreciate your input.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/ ... 50e4cb.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/ ... a04d59.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/ ... 8e863e.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m99/ ... 448b57.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Floors Refinished - Look Terrible
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm 
Valued Contributor

Did he say what he is going to do to fix the problems, that to him don't exist? I've been through this and I know how you feel about not wanting them back in your house with their bad attitude. If it's not serious money I would find just somebody else to do it right, otherwise I would contact the Consumer Protection Division of your State Attorney General's Office.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 pm 
New User

First he talked about screening the floors and applying a coat of oil-based poly. Then today he said he would be "buffing" the floors and giving them a coat of poly. When he said he would re-do it, he said it would look the same as what we have now. We asked him why he would re-do it if was going to come out the same and he said "exactly, why should I redo them?" Frustrating.

He talked about videotaping the whole process to protect himself. We just don't know if we want him back in our house at all. They haven't been paid yet. We are trying to figure out what is reasonable to pay for sanding and first poly coat. Half the contracted amount? Two thirds of the contracted amount? Not sure. Any input on this?

Then we move on to pay a real professional who knows what the final finish is supposed to look like.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

I would contact the Consumer Protection Division. They will contact the contractor on your behalf and act as mediator. Doesn't cost anything. At least get the literature and see what the process is. I've used them a couple of times in Massachusetts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:11 pm 
Valued Contributor

Don't make any financial decisions without consultation.

it is not up to you to decide anything regarding their payment.

They did the job and must be compensated fully or nothing and you may find yourself on the losing end.

Trying to work it out is best and I understand they are not being cooperative.

I cant tell much from the pics .
short of some sloppiness and a few small areas where it seems you have
some isolated bubbles which can happen in ay job when it comes to an oil poly.

how much is actually occurring on your job can not be judged here and quality is subjective.
Your opinion may not be a good barometer to what may be allowable in standards however, you are entitled to it and for any decisions you make.

I would allow them to make corrections first before jumping the gun.

Keep as much correspondence in writing as possible.
Get a pro opinion and estimate to re-coat the floors to your liking and present it to them.

They may settle for that or insist upon making proper corrections on their own dime.

http://www.flortechardwood.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:00 am 
New User

could be a number of issues. Maybe they did not tack prior to applying the finish. Looks like an oil base was used. Air ducts were not cleaned and sanding dust is blown up and settles into the finish. Old finish that was not strained into new bucket. Did not screen between coats and prior coat gases off and cannot escape. Is the company a licensed home improvement contractor? If so, that is the best way to make him dance

Daniel Riter
Signature Hardwood Floors, Inc
Baltimore, MD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:23 pm 
Valued Contributor

What I see here can be corrected by properly screening and re coating the floor. there is some junk in the finish of course but it isn't horrible or outside of what might happen on an average job.

I can confirm that a first coat of urethane or sealer will raise the wood grain significantly and make the floor feel quite rough.However, proper re coating will smooth that out .that is accomplished with a buffer and some hand work where the buffer cannot reach .

I would hope he is using a quality microfiber applicator (pad,lambswool or roller) and a quality polyurethane . I use Lenmar oil based urethane and typically apply it with arrow worthy brand 3/8" nap rollers and it lays out beautifully. But it is never 100% free of debris because I can't control the environment 100% and even excessive humidity can cause some bubbles to appear.

Profile E-mail