Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Free Labor in Dallas/FW.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:55 pm 
New User

I have recently finished laying a maple floor. The next step is to sand it. I have to drum/belt sand it one weekend in March and then wait until May to do the finish sanding and apply the finish. (family will be gone both times)

I am offering myself up to any experienced hardwood flooring installer as free labor for a day. In return, let me look over your shoulder and watch you sand the floor. I have done it before A VERY long time ago and if I remember correctly, gouged the floor quickly. My schedule is very flexible. My e-mail address is shiner5(at)netzero.com or dcaldwell(at)cliffordpower.com

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:13 am 
Newbie Contributor

use a watbourne finish maybee you wont have to let the floor get beat up for over a month before finishing. What type of a sander are you planning on using . whatever it is make sure it has a handel to lift the drum off the flloor . I cant even run those things that tilt and i have been doing it for many a year. Remember if in doubt pick the drum up it cant do any damage unless it is allowed to sit and spin in place. I dont know how much floor there is and I would never recomend to DIY when it comes to sanding a floor any monkey can install a hardwoodfloor given the time IMO not any monkey can sand one. But there is a machine that I understand is for the DIY it is slow and I only know it being called a square buff machine its rented in my area I would assume yours to . Anyway you go good luck, As for giving up your labor I would search around online there is bound to be some sort steaming video somewhere on sanding . Just remember the machine must be moving forward or back when shen you put your drum down . And if in doubt lift it up

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Follow Up
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:46 am 
New User

I never found anyone willing to let me help. I rented a 220 Clarke belt sander, edger, and buffer. I ended up having to also get a toe kick sander. I sanded all the large areas at perpendicular 45 degree angles each direction then with the grain. By the time I switched to 60 grit, the floors were level. That belt sander did some damage though before I figured it out. All in all, the worst area was my kitchen, laundry and half bath. I couldn't get the belt in there so I had to do it all with the adger. Holy cow.

I spent 2.5 days total, each day was roughly 14 hours. Six 32 gallon trash bags full of dust. I am very happy with the sanding. I couldn't move for three days, but I am happy with it. Not happy with the sealer though. See other question. My hat is off to the guys who do this every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:18 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

I almost wish every homeowner or person contracting for hardwood floors would do it for just one day before they hire us. Then they would know why it costs what it costs. I'm glad to hear your project turned out to your satisfaction. You now have something to look back on for many years with pride of a job well done.