Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gaaak! Prefinished hardwood in kitchen before cabinets
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:57 am 
New User

Oh where was my internet search engine a couple of weeks ago when I started my job. I'm installing 1300 sf of prefinished ash that started in the kitchen. My kitchen designer told me that the flooring had to go down first for the cabinets to be at the correct height. The first wall happened to be under the cabinet position so I didn't put down plywood thinking I would be able to get the start straighter (two rooms adjoin to be 30 x 30).

Now that I've found your website I see the recommendation to not do prefinished before cabinets or they'll get trashed. :oops: :oops: My wife will trash me if I don't protect this floor well enough. Any suggestions for flooring protection - I was thinking maybe 3/4 plywood down on top of the working area with maybe masonite or something for the cabinets to slide into position on????

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:17 am 
Valued Contributor

Aw, shucks. Cabinets are just big pieces of furniture. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to make the the floor stays clean beforehand. Most of the damage done to prefinished floors is done by debris getting dragged.

Unless your cabinet people are just irresponsible pigs, there is no reason to assume that damage will be automatic. Covering the floor after the cabinets are placed is a pretty good idea. I like Seekure. Masonite is a wonderful idea, but you better make good and dang sure there is no grit on the floor before putting it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:17 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

It is common knowledge and practice to install hardwood flooring nearly LAST in a renovation. And that means after the cabinet installation. However, it may be done before hand if you protect the floors. Do not expect the cardboard boxes that the flooring came in to protect the flooring adequately. It's fine for a walking path but thats about it. My builders use 1/8" masonite. And Chuck's correct about getting the floor real clean before laying down your covering. If there is any grit or dirt, it will just get ground into the flooring. And even if your cabinet installers are the best in the world, accidents can happen. Tools can get dropped, screws get stepped on, ladders tip over, and so on. Besides, after the cabs are installed, you still need to have counters installed, plumbing, electrical, maybe tile, appliances, touch up paint, etc. A lot of different tradesmen trampling across your floors. I strongly advise you protect them well or you'll be looking at replacing boards or refinishing the floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:25 pm 
Valued Contributor

Carpet scraps are hard to beat for moving stuff across clean wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

ChuckCoffer wrote:
Carpet scraps are hard to beat for moving stuff across clean wood.

Face yarn down!

I've seen them put cardboard down with plywood on top to protect the floors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:28 pm 
New User

No doubt about it, you guys are awesome.

Thanks for the input. The thing that really worries me is carrying in the 600# granite countertop for the island.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Perry. I should have mentioned that. You never know. :D