Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gaps between boards
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:20 am 
New User

Good Evening,
Could I please ask for advise on refinishing my hardwood floors. I have started the sanding process and noticed a few areas that have gaps between the slats of wood. Would these need to be replaced or can they be filled with a putty since they arent very large. And, I own an older home and have just ripped up the carpet. It appears that I have a very nice oak floor to work with but a previous owner had painted them white. Im using a jasco paint remover gel thats working pretty well but it takes soooo much time, any advise of a quicker way to remove the old paint. One more if you dont mind. There appears to be stains in the corner from a cat or two. Is this repairable or will it need to be replaced.
Thank you in advance soo much for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: the Cracks and the stains in your hardwood floors Blondie
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:24 am 
New User

Hey girl we have just did our oak hardwood floors and our house is old too back in 69 lol any how to answer a couple of your problems i have answers too.. We ripped up our old carpet too and we had several seperated boards too that wernt baddly seperated and we used a puddy called pro finisher white oak wood filler for floors that we got at home depot we asked the guy there at the tools rental place and thats what he told us to use. We also put a stain on them that matched perfectly with what was on there previously, the wood filler we used stained perfectly also you cant tell at all. and for your stains well we had a few really bad ones also, and what we did was sand them with the floor sander we rented and sprayed a oxy cleaner on them that we got from Dollar general its in a white bottle and its cheep we put that on the stains and let it set then sanded the stains right out. give that a try and see if it works.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:23 pm 
New User

if it is cat urine and dark it will not come out and will need to be replaced...

Post subject: pet stains
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 am 
New User

thats not true about cat urine and it being dark cause thats what we had on our hardwood floors and we got them out lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:04 pm 
Newbie Contributor

The cat urine will bleed back up over time. There's no way to get it out completely.

Post subject: cat urine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:16 pm 
New User

how odd cause it hasnt yet plus i figure that putting a stain with a sealer in it would block that plus sanding the floors all the way down to where the stains are gone would have done the trick but i guess in a few years i will see but i dont believe it for a sec... :?:

Profile E-mail