Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gaps between pine planks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:01 pm 
New User

I'm attempting to refinish my pine floors. The weather conditions are such that they range from one extreme to the other. This has cause considerable gaps to develop in the 1x6 T&G Pine.

My question is what do I do with the resuling gaps, some of which are up to 1/8" perhaps even more in spots? I was going to fill them but have been warned that it will only crack again and will look awful and its best to just leave the cracks unfilled as they currently are.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:03 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Hate to say it ... but 1x6 pine is gonna just push filler right out. If the gaps are wide try your best to clean them if needed and when all is said and done keep 'em clean with regular vacuuming.

If you can't tolorate them, narrower t&g strip of a more stable species is recommended. Up hear, folks tend to like more rustic hardwoods and dont seem to mind some gaps as part of a wide plank floor.

Another headace is matching pine with filler colors. This may only frustrate you if it fails, but making wood flour filler is a good bet for matching color.

I can't get any here to try it, but I've read some good things about Timbermate wood filler from Australia. I think they even boast on matching red, yellow, and eastern white pine. Maybe someone here has used the stuff and can tell you more. They do a lot of bragging about not shrinking, cracking, or falling/popping out in thier ads.

Sorry my bit doesn't sound to encouraging. I'll keep watching so I can learn from anyone else here who has better ideas on this one.

Take Care, Good Luck,

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:38 pm 
New User

PLEASE!!! LEAVE THE GAPS UNFILLED. CLEAN THEM OUT GOOD WITH A VACUMN, AND JUST POLY OVER THAT. IT GIVES THE FLOOR A NATURAL LOOK. PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

Profile E-mail