Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: garage convertion - flooring
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:14 pm 
New User

Hi,
I’m trying to convert an attached garage to a bedroom we live in NY. There is a heated basement underneath the concrete slab.

I’m thinking of installing engineered hardwood flooring. The concrete slab is 1.5 inch sloped down. I know my choice is to use self leveling compound to bring it to level. The ceiling height is only 95.5 inches not taking into consideration the ceiling Ill install so my high is limited.

Few questions:

1. If i dont level the floor would it be still comfortable to walk on?
2. any other choice to level the floor? Per my calculations it would Self leveling 20/30 50lbs bags.
3. maybe I should use PT 2/4s and lay them as sleepers and scribe them. coming from high point at 1/2 inch and going to low point at 2 inches? This way I only loose 1/2 inch but i dont spend so much on self leveling cement.

Any advise?

Thanks,

Ben

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: garage convertion - flooring
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:35 am 
Prized Contributor

Sorry that you have a slope to your garage floor. My wife wanted to have a 2 inch slope over 20 feet and I talked her into only one inch. This little amount of slope will not drain water anyway, unless it gets pretty deep. I wanted a level floor! I have a squeegee for standing water.
I would think that if someone has been used to the minor amount of slope before the flooring has been installed, then it doesn't matter. Floor mechanics require a flat floor, not one that is level.
If there is a variation of the slope over the floor, then that would be a stumbling block in your plans. Check with a straight-edge.
If your floor is only 10 or 15 feet long, this may be too much of a slope. If you are installing a floating floor you need to realize that the floor will eventually slide to the lower end of the floor. This would be a minor problem that could be accounted for in the installation process. I've seen a 5/8th inch drop in 3 feet in a kitchen that needed to be leveled so people would not bump into cabinets.

Profile E-mail