Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: general install questions for the pros
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:43 am 
Newbie Contributor

I take it that when you pros do lets say a bedroom that you have the air compressor and saw in the same room? How do you take into account the saw dust created by cutting the wood? Do you move the saw out before finishing the last rows.

I am going to do a bedroom and have concerns about the sawdust causing problems and was going to set up the saw outside on the back porch.

Mr Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Always cut outdoors unless it's new construction or an extensive remodel with cleaning people coming in last. Another option if you don't want to run back and forth would be www.zipwall.com

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

As Ken says, always try to cut outside unless it's new construction. When I've had to install UPSTAIRS with no back porch, I'll designate a room for cutting and when it comes time for that room to be done, I'll move the saws over to another room already installed and put the saws on cardboard or something to prevent damage to the floors. This is only when I'm upstairs. It makes NO SENSE to me to run up and down staircases all day to get to a saw. It is simply easier to clean the mess up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 pm 
Newbie Contributor

That is what I figured.
At least I don't have stairs to climb on this project.

Thanks to all.

Mr Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:34 pm 
Worthy Contributor

I routinely cut right next to my work. I'm not understanding the problem. Dust? Close the door. I do take some extra precautions with prefinished to protect from scratching.

First few rows I set the chop saw on the far end of the room. Once about 3 feet from the wall, the chop saw gets set up directly behind. For a wide prefinished, I only use a jig saw and work entirely on cardboard.
Walking back and forth to a saw for end cuts is a huge waste of time and body. What am I missing?

www.theoakfloorsofmarco.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:53 pm 

Marco,
I'm with you. And when I'm doing unfinished, my chop saw is in the room I'm working in. However, many of my customers are super concerned about any dust. So, on prefinished, I cut outside as a courtesy. Since I rack the flooring (on nail downs), I'll mark most of my end cuts first then take an armful to the saw to cut. And usually, I can set the saw up very near to where I'm working. It really only takes a little more time and makes the customers so much happier that it is worth the time for me. Not any more getting up and down either if you plan it well. At one time, I never cut outside. But now, seems like more and more folks expect it so inside of arguing about it, I just go along with the program. The exception is UPSTAIRS. I will NOT run up and down a stair case to make cuts outside. If that is what a customer wants, they'll have to get someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:28 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Guess it hasn't been a problem since I use the jigsaw on engineered. Dust doesn't fly there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:51 pm 
Prized Contributor

A jig saw???

It must take you forever! I love my chop saw, and all I do is engineered.

I do like Gary, although when it is cold and rainy outside and the garage is full, I will set my saw in a far area of the installation from my starting point, and my saw has a port for my vacuum, and so does my table saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:16 am 
Worthy Contributor

Of course it all depends but for the theoretical bedroom the jigsaw is just fine, especially for the 7" Kahrs since I don't have a sliding chopper. With a sharp blade it goes through engineered like butter. Max cut on my chopper is 5" and I wouldn't use anything else for 3/4 solid but when you consider saw setup and walking time back and forth, that jigsaw works out well, even on the end rip. Quiet, easy to use, light and small. If I could have only one saw, it would be my jigsaw. I love my jigsaw, put it under my pillow every night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:43 pm 

But you unplug it first, right? :lol: