Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glossy and Dull After Stain
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 am 
New User

Hey guys, new to the forum.
This is completely my fault. I used winmax stain. I did not use the pre-conditioner they sell...I did not wipe off the excess stain. I went in thinking it was simple and then reading after the fact. Lesson learned.
I waited a day and noticed that when the sunlight hits the floor, some areas were tacky and glossy, other areas were dull. I took mineral spirits and put some muscle into it and rubbed down the entire floor. It looks better and no more tackiness but you can still distinguish the dull from the glossy when the sunlight catches it.

The color is consistent, it's honestly just gloss vs. dull. So my question is...can I just go for a coat of polyurethane since that should make the entire floor glossy? Or do I need to even out the stain? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Glossy and Dull After Stain
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:12 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Seeing that the stain has had sufficient dry time . . . the sheen at this point has NO barring on what your (finished) floor will look like.
Most certainly proceed with your three coats of polyurethane. please read the instruction on the product that you have chosen to use FIRST . . .good luck to You !

Profile E-mail