Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glue down cork floor, square edge not T&G is this possible?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Anyone have installed glue down cork.
I have 5000 sq.ft. job where the client has been told the glue down cork will perform better then floating.
Those are just simple square edge one foot by two foot blocks, yes square edge no tongue and grove, it is pre-finished, can not be sanded.

I wonder what if the edges will come up, the corners will never be perfect flush if there is no T&G, even with the perfect concrete slab and cleanest job there will be glue bleeding out and the edges can not be perfect.

I have never heard about glue down pre-finished floors glue without the T&G
Anyone has had an experience with it?

The manufacturer recommends the contact cement and laying is as a tile I can not imagine since the cork is very flexible it is not like a tile perfect flat plus there is not room for grout.This glue down cork is not like the floating engineering , it is 100% cork that is it , nothing on the bottom, no support , so flex like hell.

It just sounds to me like an imposible job , maybe I am wrong, the 5000 sq.ft. jobs do not come along everyday so it would be nice to do it.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Glue down cork floor, square edge not T&G is this possible?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:41 pm 
Prized Contributor

It installs just like VCT. Some manufacturers require another coat of finish after installation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:58 pm 
Prized Contributor

Not a problem, bring a roller, roll it, roll it again and then roll it more. lol

You can resand most of it although some has a skin on top that will sand off. Is your pre-glued or vinyl backed?

I had a client I put some in for and she said when she lived in New Zealand her cork floor got totally flooded. Nothing happened to it. It's kinda bullet proof if you screen and put a new coat on like Floor says, most of then require it to seal it up so charge for it.

I used to do tons of it for Standard Brands back in the day. Back then they didn't have the low VOC contact cement. Thats why I caint spel no mo. :mrgreen:

I'd charge around 3 bucks a sf minimum with floor prep depending it it is pre-glued or what.

IFCII Certified Inspector
Floor Repairs and Installation in Tucson, Az
http://www.tucsonazflooring.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Floorologist. have you install this particular one?

Floormeinstucson
It does not have any backing it is 100% cork, not pre-glued, manufacture says use the contact cement.
I just can not see it work, the glue is going to beet out and rolling over the glue it will be a big mess.

How does this low VOC contact cement work? It is a nice product that would not beed out and allow to set it nice and even?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:00 am 
Prized Contributor

Contact cement does not bleed out at all, it's dry when you stick it down, whats to bleed? Even the acrylic and urethanes don't bleed if you follow directions

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:42 pm 
Prized Contributor

It's been years since I installed it. But solid cork gluedown tile used to be real popular. The "contact adhesive" won't ooze. We used to call in "thinspread". Chalk your lines first, then spread the room,( fine notched trowell, check the pail), the adhesive usually dries clear, and you can see your lines through it. The adhesive is ready to lay into when you can run your hand over it, and it doesn't come off on your hand. Normally the adhesive takes about an hour before you can lay into it, ( you can use fans to speed it up). If you use the right trowell, and hit it with a roller, it sucks down like you wouldn't believe.

Piece of cake installation....Priced the same as VCT, (maybe a tad higher),and more if you have to give it a topcoat of finish. I think SP is dreamin :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

I have done the Natural Cork/US Floors glue down tile. Make sure you use the correct trowel size and roll it as you go along.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:

Piece of cake installation....Priced the same as VCT, (maybe a tad higher),and more if you have to give it a topcoat of finish. I think SP is dreamin :mrgreen:

You get what you pay for! :mrgreen: Might be a tad high for 5,000 sf. What I hate are the acrylic adhesives for cork tiles. Very touchy stuff, and it cannot skin over or it will not stick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:44 pm 
Prized Contributor

floormeintucson wrote:
Floorologist wrote:

You get what you pay for! :mrgreen: Might be a tad high for 5,000 sf. What I hate are the acrylic adhesives for cork tiles. Very touchy stuff, and it cannot skin over or it will not stick.

Yea, I wouldn't want to install it "wet lay"...major PITA. But man, contact....3 ducats minimum a foot!? :P I know once prepped...I could pound out 1000' in a day. So say a couple days 3 g's minimum? Ta heck with hardwood..gluedown cork here I come! :mrgreen: :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 pm 
Prized Contributor

Floorologist wrote:
floormeintucson wrote:
Floorologist wrote:

Yea, I wouldn't want to install it "wet lay"...major PITA. But man, contact....3 ducats minimum a foot!? :P I know once prepped...I could pound out 1000' in a day. So say a couple days 3 g's minimum? Ta heck with hardwood..gluedown cork here I come! :mrgreen: :P

Picture yourself sitting there coating the backs of 5,000 tiles and then the floor. :shock: There's a reason they come precoated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
New User

WOW... 5000 sf will take awhile. My recommendations would be to use a contact cement and setup a staging area where you can roll cement to back of tile (let it flash) roll the floor (let it flash) then set the tile using a small hand roller to hit the corners (this will be the first part that will lift) then use a heaver roller to roll the area that you laid.

Definetly snap lines and do a small area (4 tiles) to start and then work up to a larger quantity. Once you get a hang of it it should go smoothly. When you set the tiles you can butt them up to each other put leave a expansion gap around the edges that will be covered with trim.

Hope this helps. Tweet me if you have any other questions APCCork

John
APC Cork

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 pm 
Prized Contributor

Hi John, nice to see you chiming in. Great idea about the staging area. Back in the day, I forgot who made the cork tiles for Standard Brands, but we had no low VOC contact cement....did I already say that, my memory is shot. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm 
New User

Got to love those fumes floormeintucson LOL By the way do you do installs of in your area? looking for installers to put on our website so if you have any contact info you should shoot me a email john@apccork.com

John
APC Cork

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm 
Prized Contributor

APCCork wrote:
Got to love those fumes floormeintucson LOL By the way do you do installs of in your area? looking for installers to put on our website so if you have any contact info you should shoot me a email john@apccork.com

John
APC Cork

Course I do. I can apply a new coat of finish as well.

Profile E-mail