Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glue down engineered on plywood on slab
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 pm 
New User

First, thank you to everyone who makes a forum like this happen, it's such a great source of information. I have searched for an answer to my question but have not run across my specific question.

I have installed several 3/4 solid hardwood floors using the traditional staple down method. The flooring that we have chosen for our upcoming remodel is an engineered product and I'm considering a glue down installation to help avoid potential squeaks/creaks. We are on a slab and hate the thought of having to remove a glue down install in the future. I am thinking of adding a 3/8 or 1/2 inch layer of plywood and then gluing to that to make removal easier later. I would prefer to fasten the ply to the slab for a more solid feel. I understand the potential issues with puncturing the vapor barrier with this method but, I'm wondering if anyone has done a similar install and how it worked. The only reason to not use a full 3/4 layer is to minimize transition heights and possible door clearance issues. Would I be better off just gluing straight to the slab? Or, a full 3/4 and staple down install?

Flooring will be either 3/8" or 1/2" inch engineered hardwood. If 3/8", it would be multiple width- 4, 5, & 6 inch. If 1/2", it would be 6" width only.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Glue down engineered on plywood on slab
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:09 pm 
Prized Contributor

You could glue cork underlayment to the slab, sand any bumps out easily, and then glue your engineered to the cork. It would be much easier to get the flooring out later, if you decide that it needs to be removed. The cork will be much easier to remove than the plywood, after the flooring is removed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Glue down engineered on plywood on slab
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm 
New User

You should either lay down a 6 mm moisture barrier or seal the concrete , then lay down 2 layer in opposite direction ( fasten each other ) floating , then nail down your flooring into it , if you are using planks ( wider than 5") you should blind nail and use beans of glue every 16" , i like the 1/2" osb for this

Good lucky

Profile E-mail