Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glue Down vs glue together float
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:41 am 
Newbie Contributor

First off I will echo many others on this board and say thank you for the wealth of information this site provides.

After 6 months of research I have decided to get BR 111 Casanova engineered 7/16" Sicilian Teak put in my townhome. Here are the details:

-About 500 Sq Ft
-Concrete Slab on grade
-Live in Chicago (So weather varies greatly)

Here is my issue: What is better in my situation, glue together float or glue down. I have not completed the moisture testing of the slab yet, but assuming it is within range what would you choose? The installers around here say that doing either is not common and not preferred, however they have done it and are willing if I choose to do so.

Any and all comments are welcome. I need some expert advice and I have come to respect the feedback on this forum. Thank you!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:10 pm 
I vote for floating if the hollow sound does not bother you. You can save lots of cash plus as you may well know, the VE can change any day. So unless you buy into a glue/seal concrete system that will pay for the floor and labor floating is better.
I use 6 or 8 mill plastic even if you use a 2 or 3 in one underlayment as these have proven time and time agin to be unreliable when it comes to excessive VE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:50 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Float it whenever you can. Use a premium sound underlayment as recommend with attached moisture barrier if possible - otherwise a seperate moisture barrier. Whenver you glue to concrete you will run the risk of glue failure after some period of time.

Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:29 am 
Newbie Contributor

do you know of an underlayment that will help minimize the hollow sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:27 am 
Valued Contributor

Midwest makes a good one. Healthy Choice makes the best one I have used. They stand behind it. They don't give a fig about the manufacturer. They guarantee their stuff to be impervious to vapor emission.

Chuck.