Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Going around cabinets with floating floor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:42 pm 
New User

We are trying to put floating floor in a room that will be living, dining and kitchen. Kitchen has a island with kickspace and both sides of the room has cabinets with and without kickspace. The cabinet maker (not knowing what he was doing apparently) left just enough space for us to slide the flooring under the cabinets. Well, that is impossible as anyone who knows that you have to lift up the sides of the flooring to get it to click together. OR------is there a way??? Since this problem exists on both sides of the room and there are several alcoves in the room in other areas we are just pulling our hair out trying to do this. We spent all the money on the cabinets and can't afford to have someone come in and install the floor for us.

We tore out a wall so we have a lot of uneven floor but plan to use the leveling compound on that.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Brenda

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

Bren,it is inevitable that you will run into places that will not allow you to do the rotate and lock thing. In those instances,you simply cut the lock off and glue the groove. I usually run down the lock with a sharp chisel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Even with that Chuck we both know how hard it is to get the last board tight without any room to pry it back. Unless someone else has ideas I say it's time for shoemolding unless the toe kicks can be removed and re installed?

Quote:
not knowing what he was doing apparently

I wouldn't put any blame on the cabinet maker or installer. It's a matter of planning ahead of time that would have prevented the uncertainty.

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Would not blame the cabinet maker EXCEPT
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:57 pm 
New User

The only reason I blamed the cabinet maker was the shoddy job. I was without water in the kitchen for six weeks because he was six weeks late coming to put them in and when he did they were rough as a cob and he actually brought a hand sprayer and sanded and sprayed in my kitchen without even covering up my appliances. Much more.

He said we could just slide the laminate under all the cabinets so left them standing that much higher than the floor. Sliding will be a huge problem.

Ordinarily, I would never blame the craftsman but in this case it was a great exception because I will have to refinish these brand new maple cabinets this summer. Lesson---never pay ahead of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:57 pm 
Valued Contributor

Oh, Imisunderstood. You need to simply plan on installing shoe.

Odds are against the gap left being uniform,anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:11 pm 
Prized Contributor

Shoe molding, if you can get it cut close to the cabinets, but the way the glueless floors are, you may need ΒΌ round, instead of thinner shoe molding.