Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good oil based finish?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:11 am 
Hello!

I'm in the process of installing fir flooring on our covered and quite protected deck. I want to use an oil based finish but have been told that there is no real good finish available in hardware stores for the average (I mean not professional) person. Any thoughts as to the best finish I could use? Should I try to find an installer that might sell me some of their 'better' product?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Barb

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Floor Finish
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:52 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Barb, Take a look at a finish called Waterlox. There address is www.waterlox.com. There are many other good finishes but you may like this one and they tell you where you can get it.
Buddy

Post subject: Floor Finishes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:49 am 
If you floor is well protected from the elements you could use a floor finish. Check out this article that I wrote for Ken Fisher on this site:
http://hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodin ... es-oil.htm
This article may give you some background info for your project.
HOWEVER, . . . if your deck is exposed to a large degree of temperature changes, even though protected against the elements, I would suggest going to a "deck finish" which would not include any known oil-based product. The product I'm referring to is Weather-tek. It's a water-based product which soaks in without a slippery film build. It changes the molecular make-up of the fibers of the wood thereby protecting it from most exterior effects. It came out of California, so it's environmentally sound as well as effective.
Hope this helps.
Charlie Benghauser[url][/url]