Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Great Kahrs Install
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:47 pm 
New User

I have lurked and post rarely on this board for the last 2 years...well, I finally did my Kahrs floor project for my basement.

I laid 800sq ft of their Woodloc product...3 strip. VERY impressed with the quality and consistency of the product.

My thoughts and learnings:
- basement concrete floor my look level, it isnt....dips and doodles everywhere. I found 15lb felt in a few layers helped the majority of it...a 1000 lb pool table in one room also helped 8)
- there is an art to getting the woodloc to fit nicely under door jambs...in some cases I chiseled the 'locking' tabs off and glued down that strip and in others I actually soaped the joint to make it slipperier so I could lock the board in place and 'hammer' it lengthwise under the door jamb.
- You have to be creative at times...e.g. my job extended into the middle of a side hallway....no way to 'knock' the wood in place with one strip hanging out there...so I had scraps of plywood to cut to length and brace the strip up against the nearest wall so I could continue in the other direction.

In my basement, there is an area where I went down two hallways that ended up meeting again about 10 feet away...I was all ready to use a T-mold as I didnt expect the rows to line up again...but they did perfectly! I was amazed and pleased.

I have neighbors that spent more $$$ on premium carpet than I did on this flooring (granted, they sipped pina coladas and watched the install...). Very please with this DIY project and definitely recommend Kahrs and their Woodloc line. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:56 am 
Newbie Contributor

Thanks for the report! I, too, am considering the Kahrs product for a concrete slab installation in my den. Just waiting till I have enough $$$. :-)
-brian-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:18 am 
Site Admin

The folks at Kahrs say they have the lowest claims rate in the industry. I would have to agree from the reports we get :D

Kahrs Home Page

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail