Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Greetings...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:44 pm 
New User

Greetings everyone. I'm quite glad to have found this forum as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge here. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dave and I'm from Pine Grove, CA. My wife and I just bought a home up here in the Sierra Foothills and before we move in, we're getting all the kitchen cabinetry and flooring installed.

We've purchased Columbia's "Out of Africa" Natural Rosewood...Simply gorgeous! I'll be using a Bostitch Floor Runner for a staple down installation and practiced on some cheaper material just to "get the hang of it". I'll be starting in a couple of days and would appreciate some feedback on where/how to get started. Attached is a simplified drawing and as you can see, the floor will be laid down in a diagonal pattern. I'm guessing from what I've read here I'll need to spline at some point which leads me to my next question...Where does one go to get splines? I live in a rural area and I can't seem to find them. Can I make them? Thanks in advance folks and take care. :)

Here's the drawing:

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:49 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You may have to make your own. You can get factory made ones to fit 3/4" T&G flooring at many places that sell UNFINISHED hardwood flooring or order it through a retailer. It's cheap. Now if your flooring is a different thickness, and I assume it is because you plan on using a floor runner, then you will need to make your own. It's not difficult. You need a table saw and some hardwood. Measure the height and depth of the groove in your flooring. For arguements sake, let's say it is 3/16" deep and 1/8" high. There is a type of hardwood called 5/16" face nail oak. If you could get a few strip of that, then all you would need to do is rip it into 1/8" strips. Then you would have some spline (slip tongue) that measures 5/16" x 1/8". Before you cut it all, make one short piece to check for fit. When you get the right fit dialed it, rip them all the same. The fit should be snug but not too tight. If it fits loosely, that's no good either. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:10 am 
New User

Muchas Gracias Gary! Easy 'nuff. I'll probably go that route and it certainly doesn't seem difficult at all. I see you're from Antioch. I grew up in the East Bay (Union City to be precise). How are things down in your neck o' the woods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:21 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

Things are fine here! Growing, expanding but traffic is getting worse. It never gets better I suppose. The SF East bay is a great place to live, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:40 pm 
New User

Good to hear. Yeah traffic is the pits all over the SF area. Anyways, here's my plan for starting the flooring. I'm going to start by laying my first row (as marked in the pic below) through the Living Room into the Dining Room. I'm going to spline this row and then work "out" from both sides as I go. If anyone sees any potential "gotchas" please feel free to critique my "plan of attack" Thanks. :)