Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hand scraped Floors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:03 pm 
Newbie Contributor

Hi,
I'm new to this board and have a question for the other floor guys.
I have 2000 feet of hickory 10 inch plank (3/4") that has to be hand scraped medium to heavy. The problem I'm having is I get a lot of tearout when using my convex spoke shaver. I've rounded off a hook scraper but it's really slow going. Any one know of a faster or easier way to get the same look without losing a third of my body weight in the process?
Thanks in advance,
Danny

Amish made hardwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:32 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

You could try a 4" grinder with a sanding disc. I think once you get the hang of it, it could produce some convincing scraping BUT nothing looks like the real deal except the real thing.The way floors where scraped 100 years ago was using a cabinet scraper (a rectangular flat thin steel plate sharpened on one long side) They keeped the edge sharp by filing, same way we sharpen our corner scrapers. Have you considered hiring some cheap labor for a few days? I don't think I'd want the job of scaping 2000 sq.ft. of hickory. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:37 am 
Newbie Contributor

Gary:
I lost a job to another floor company because he hand scraped the floor himself and I had it hand scraped at the mill. But there was no way I was going to scrape 1900sf of flooring. He had nothing but problems with the Homeowner didn't scrape enough here or to much there. By ordering already scrape you can tell the home owner this is the way it comes. It's more but your knees and hands will thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Wow that does sound like alot of work

I heard not long ago Festool has some kind of gizmo that you can use to get the hand scraped look.

http://www.festool-usa.com/

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:15 am 
Newbie Contributor

The owner (more money than God, dot com guy) didn't realize the factory would sell scraped wood. Already have 500 feet done to his satisfaction but am growing tired of fixing the tearouts. Will definitly make profit but sometimes money's not worth it. Good news is my pant size is shrinking. (must tell Jenny Craig about this)
Danny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:13 am 
Worthy Contributor

Making a killing here in North Idaho hand scraping at the site. We do it while it acclimates, one board at a time clamped to saw-horses and bevel the edges with a block plane. Spoke shave is the way to go and combine that with an expensive curved blade scraper plane too (if you need that look). My helper and I can scrape about 400 - 600 ft. comfortably in a day and amuse ourselves during the day racing each other to see how many boards per hour we do. Hard work but a nice brake from humping edgers all day...
Hope that helps!!

William
Heritage Hardwood Floors
Coeur 'd Alene, ID

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:55 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Just some more info if your still reading this message board .... you need to look up a tool called a scrub plane ... let me just save you some time and tell you to get the LIE Nielson brand

GOOD LUCK
William

In order to achieve what the competition cannot grasp, we must complete what they will not attempt. Nobody ever said it would be easy, but it's darn sure worth it.

Profile E-mail