Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hardwood and radiant flooring
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:01 pm 
New User

I live in Colorado where the humidity is basically non existent. I am trying to install an antique oak, reclaimed hardwood, but would like to put radiant heating down beneath it. has anyone installed either electric or hydronic radiant heat in a really dry climate, beneath an really dried out old plank flooring and had problems. most problems people talk about have to do with really high electric bills and not with the flooring.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: hardwood and radiant flooring
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:47 pm 
Newbie Contributor

All sources in the description points to having a dry climate, dry subfloor. These are all things that can cause a hardwood flooring to crack and split. If this were my own home, I would first look into installing a humidifier as this will help all the wood work and increase comfort for the family members.

Normally I would say to look at the manufacture warranty to follow their criteria for installing over radiant heat, however, since it is reclaimed you may have to make your own decision. Radiant heat is considered higher risk for most hardwood manufactures because the manufacture has very little control over how the home owner uses their radiant heat system. Baking your wood floors at 90 degree with an electric system has a much different effect than using a hydronic system at 70 degree.

My recommendation is to go ahead and install a humidifier and opt for the hydronic radiant heat system. I do not foresee any trouble with proper use.

Here is a bit more info about radiant heat systems if you would like to look deeper into it:
http://www.uniquewoodfloor.com/blog/pro ... your-home/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: hardwood and radiant flooring
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:02 pm 
New User

Hi, It's actually possible to add radiant heating under your hardwood floors or bamboo floors. mostly American hardwood floor materials, such as cherry, Oak, ash will work just fine when you install radiant heating. We are proud to be a leading bamboo flooring hardwood eucalyptus and bamboo floors.

https://www.ambientbp.com/bamboo-flooring-cost.php

Profile E-mail