Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood Floor Damage - Repair Help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 pm 
New User

Hello,

I'm looking for advice regarding damage to my hardwood floor. I was taping down electrical cords for a party and I unfortunately used packing tape. I'll never do that again!

The floors are original to our 1954 house but were professionally refinished 4 years ago. We used Minwax English Walnut with semi gloss varnish. The wood is oak. The damaged area I'm looking to repair this time is approximately 2 thin strips 2 feet long.

Last year I revarnished our wood thresholds that lead to our backyard and I wasn't satisfied with the outcome. It looked great when I put on the varnish but within a month, the stain became very light and uneven looking. Just looking to avoid any problems with this repair.

Attached is a link that will show the current damage. Any advice would be appreciated.

[url]https://donnaemighphoto.smugmug.com/HARDWOOD-FLOOR-DAMAGE/n-mzdG5K/i-jFWwFk6/url]

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Hardwood Floor Damage - Repair Help
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 am 
Prized Contributor

When an area gets worn the finish has worn off. Multiple layers of oil based poly does yellow the surface over time, so when the finish gets worn the color will change.
A better repair would be to coat the area where the tape removed the finish and then apply another coat over the whole area of flooring.
Be sure to prepare the surface for a coat of finish by cleaning well and then dulling the surface with 150 grit sand paper and tacking before applying the final coat.
Color of a wood floor will change with time.

Profile E-mail