Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood Floor in Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 am 
New User

I am contemplating replacing the tile floor in my kitchen with a Anderson hardwood solid floor (actually interested in Virginia Vintage Hickory). It looks like a good product with lots of layers, but my wife is concerned about wood in the kitchen, i.e. care, water spills, maintenance,cleaning, etc. Should I put this floor in or am I just inviting a headache? Should I stick with tile? I would appreciate other people's experience.

Thanks

Post subject: Obey the Force, Luke!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:05 am 
Worthy Contributor

Listen to your wife! :)

Just my opinion.

Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm 
Prized Contributor

I second that.

Post subject: Wives
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:35 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Don't wives ever get tired of being right?!?!?!

Answer: NO![/b]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:05 pm 
New User

*** Disclaimer *** I'm not a wood flooring expert :)

However, I have had wood floors in the kitchen of my last two houses. It worked fine but I never had a significant leak (diswasher, frige, etc).

As a consumer, I would definitely recommend you polyurethane with several layers. That will take care of the occasional water glass spill. ***I was slow in doing it on the second house and had two highly-visible *boogered* spots due to minor spills.

The main drawback to wood floors (If poly-ed) is that every time you drop a pan or even a piece of silverware you will gouge the floor. No where else in the house do you carry around such damaging items so often. And, it's not the best thing in the world to argue with your wife about "Why aren't you more cautious".

Post subject: Wood Floors fine in kitchen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:30 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I realize this is an old post, but for the benefit of others...

I have 3/4 Brazilian Cherry in my kitchen, finished on site. Since Installing, the original dishwasher flooded a big area. Twice. Overnight! The next day the whole area was white as the water was under the Poly (or whatever) and the floor cupped pretty badly. A few weeks (months?) for the floor and subfloor to dry and it is perfectly fine. The only problem is squeaking due to weakening of the OSB Floor.
Then the supply hose burst under my sink and flooded it again! Wasn't too bad since I was there and wiped it up quickly.

I rehab 100 yr old houses for a living and they ALL have 3/4 wood floors in the kitchen, long since covered with something else. I always go back to the original wood and resand it. ALL these kitchen have had water leaks forever (he says as he pulls out the rotted sink base cabinets...) but the only problem with the floors are the black marks along the seams, and even those I can bleach out if I take the time.

Dropping things? Well there are a few marks from when the shelf gave way in the wall cabinet and the huge serving bowls came crashing down on the floor, but those are the only dings on the whole floor after 8 years. This wood is HARD.

My BC floor in my kitchen is my favorite feature in the whole house and I recommend it wholeheartedly. I can't imagine what someone could do to it that I haven't done. I would be concerned about a laminate or engineered wood in the kitchen since I don't know the effect the inevitable water leaks/spills will have on the ply layers, and I worry that they would swell. But 3/4 solid prefinished or site finished - go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:58 am 
Semi Newbie Contributor

Kitchens and bathrooms seam to be the #1 spot "Designers" want to be installing hardwood these days, but many don't believe it's a good idea.

Just keep in mind that when you put hardwood in these locations you are gambling with your money, time and inconvenience.

While there are many people who have had problems with tile or vinyl in these areas, there are many more who have had problems with wood.

Just know the risks.

Post subject: Wood in the Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:54 pm 
Newbie Contributor

I'll second what Andrew is saying. Wood in the kitchen indeed blows away tile aesthetically, but in terms of durability, there is no contest. I put down porcelain Italian tile in my kitchen, and it is like tank armor. Hard to stand on after long periods makin chow, but it takes a beating and keeps coming back for more. Just my opinion, as I am a weird dude.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Concrete
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:52 am 
Worthy Contributor

Something that's becoming more popular out here in Arizona is . . . concrete flooring! I've seen it epoxied with a beautiful glaze over it. And I've seen it colored for a beautiful look. Poor man's tile? Not so cheap!

But I love wood!
Charlie

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:02 pm 
Prized Contributor

www.Acidstian.com
www.scofield.com

If you wish to see concrete masterpieces, go to either of those sites and look through the picture galleries.

I wish I would have got off in to that stuff about 15 years ago and then sold the business, before everyone started doing it and coming WAY down in the pricing.