Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood floor peeling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 am 
New User

Hi,

A couple of months ago we installed a hardwood floor. Now it seems that on some boards the top layer is peeling off. Is this to be expected? What is happening here?

I thought the floor had a 4mm top layer, but this seems like it has a fine coating on that top layer that give the boards it's look and feel. So in the future if I sand the boards I will be left with just plain boards?

Is there something I can do about this?

Here's an image: https://imgur.com/a/vFdbvXG

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Hardwood floor peeling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:32 am 
Worthy Contributor

It would help to know a bit more about the kind of material you have installed. It looks to me like a smoked or double smoked white oak rustic grade type of engineered floor. This would give you a thin wear layer on top of a plywood or similar backer. If its the product I'm thinking of, then the wear layer is quite fragile, and needs to be oiled every 6-12 months to keep the rustic look without chipping off every time you mop the floor. This type of floor hates water to you really have to be careful when cleaning; almost want to put mats everywhere to protect the floor but that defeats the purpose of that rustic look.

From the picture, you may need some board replacements - best to reach out to the supplier and ask for their advise on the cause of and solution to this problem before it gets worse throughout the home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:52 am 
New User

WestonKris wrote:
It would help to know a bit more about the kind of material you have installed. It looks to me like a smoked or double smoked white oak rustic grade type of engineered floor. This would give you a thin wear layer on top of a plywood or similar backer. If its the product I'm thinking of, then the wear layer is quite fragile, and needs to be oiled every 6-12 months to keep the rustic look without chipping off every time you mop the floor. This type of floor hates water to you really have to be careful when cleaning; almost want to put mats everywhere to protect the floor but that defeats the purpose of that rustic look.

From the picture, you may need some board replacements - best to reach out to the supplier and ask for their advise on the cause of and solution to this problem before it gets worse throughout the home.

Hi, thx for your reply. This is what is says on the suppliers website:

"The Raftwood floor is constructed from 12mm birch birch plywood with a toplayer of 4mm old railway sleepers which gives it a sturdy and beautiful natural appearance. The top layers are deliberately not sorted out so that a "sorting" is not involved."

The only thing we did since the floor was installed is mop it with luke warm water (as we were told to do by the supplier). We might only have mopped it 4 or 5 times since instalment.

Even more the places that should wear the most (around dining table, the hall, etc.) are perfectly ok.

Just wanted to know if this kind of wear is normal. But if I read your comment correctly, it isn't. I'll get in touch with the supplier. Thx again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:31 am 
Worthy Contributor

I knew I recognized that material - I've lots of experience with Flamingo products; heck if you're in Toronto I know exactly who sold it to you!

The raftwood line is very delicate but looks incredible if you're into that rustic/reclaimed style. On one hand, you're tempted to put mats and rugs everywhere to protect the floor, but then you cover up all that character and it defeats the purpose.

I know that this type of floor is supposed to be oiled every 12 months on a maintenance schedule, which should keep it looking 'fresh' and not washed out. as for the peeling, its likely due to a contaminate like alcohol or spirits having been spilled, or perhaps a varsol or acetone type stain remover was used. It shouldn't peel like that under normal conditions so I would contact the supplier and have him send out a goon to investigate. Board replacement may be necessary here.

As a tip - try not to mop this floor. Vacuum as much and as often as possible, but any water on these floors, even damp mopping, can lead to problems, since the floor is very uneven due to the rustic grade, and spots of water can pool in areas and take longer to evaporate. Spot clean as needed. The reclaimed material is already delicate, so the additional moisture can easily lead to peeling. Moreso if humidity if high in the space, and then you also mop the floor. I'm sure you already have a dehumidifer already since you've made the investment in the raftwood floors and got the speech about flooring and relative humidity.

Profile E-mail