Amish made hardwood

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood floor virgin
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:50 am 
New User

I installed this floor in our living room and dining room recently. It is prefinished 3/4" x 3 1/4" maple, stained bronze. Wood comes from the province of Quebec in Canada, where they are noted for their quality maple trees. I had never done this before, but I think it came out ok for a newbie.
My wife loves it so much, that starting this morning, I will be installing the same hardwood in our 3 bedrooms and hallway....wish me luck. This is going to be a bit tougher, because of all the flowing transitions through doorways and cloths closets. I'll have to figure out how to make a spline to change direction into a bedroom on the opposite side of the hallway. Shouldn't be too hard (I hope). Anyway, here's what my living room and dining room look like.

Profile E-mail  

Amish made hardwood

Post subject: Re: Hardwood floor virgin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:13 pm 
Worthy Contributor

Looks nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm 
New User

Thanks, we're happy with the results so far. Right now we are in the middle of installing the same hardwood in 3 bedrooms and a hallway. We have 2 bedrooms and the hallway completed, leaving just one bedroom left to do. There is a continuous flow of hardwood through all the thresholds which took a bid of time and some pretty fancy cutting, but so far, I'm doing ok. Can't wait to have it all finished, and all the furniture put back in place.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:49 am 
New User

You have done very well to have laid that all you self. I did some parquet flooring myself and it took me two weeks to do 20m2!

Looking back at the pictures I could do with resanding it :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:03 am 
New User

People with allergies or respiratory conditions often avoid carpets and pads because they are so difficult to clean properly; harboring dusts and molds, and can off-gas VOCs . Against this, domestically-produced hardwood looks pretty good. My wife and I moved in here in a hurry because the previous owner stalled and dawdled long past closing when he was supposed to get out. As a result, we had a local flooring company come in, rip up carpet and pads, and install Mannington "click-type" flooring that looks like white oak. It's OK, and we needed to have the job done quickly. Eventually, we'll probably spring for hardwood flooring - either real white oak or rock-maple. It won't be real cheap per sq ft, but luckily this is a small house.

Profile E-mail