Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood floor, water intrusion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 am 
New User

My wife and I bought a house last year. The wood floors are impeccable.

In the guest room the window seal failed letting rain in from a bad storm.

There was a minor flood in there which rolled perfectly to the closet and dripped to the basement. This is a one time intrusion and has never happened before so I am hoping no mold forms under floor.

I dried as much as I could, and put a dehumidifier in room.

2 days later the floor started to cup. It really isn't noticeable to the clothed eye but you can feel it right away.

It happened Friday and it is still cupped.

What are the chances it goes back to normal? I have been running a space heater and dehumidifier for days

In the event the cupping stays, at what point should I sand and refinish?

Thankfully it is only the guest room

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hardwood floor, water intrusion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:38 pm 
Prized Contributor

When there is a water flood where a puddle is created I recommend removing the base board and using a hair dryer to get the perimeter dried out. When a floor cups it is because the wood has expanded causing pressure on adjacent boards. The longer the wood remains under pressure the more of a chance that some of the cells will become compressed and not be able to rebound, leaving small gaps, later. Warming the room as well as working a dehumidifier will be the best that you can do.A fan to direct warm dry air to where the floor seems to be most damp helps.
Use a moisture meter to help find equal readings between the dampened floor and a dry area that has not been affected by water or your drying attempts before starting the refinishing.. With a finish on the surface it may take up to 6 months.
You may want to contact your homeowners insurance agent to see if this is covered in case you have a loss.

Profile E-mail