Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood floors and formaldehyde
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 pm 
New User

I have an asthmatic daughter who is chemical sensitive. I have two projects that I need help with.

1) I would like to refinish my hardwood floors. Can anybody recommend a low VOC polyurethane coating?

2) I have a family room that is at ground level with a concrete floor. I would like to remove the carpet (installed over 1960 linoleum (I assume)tile) and install a hardwood floor. My choices seem to be solid hardwood glued using formaldehyde free glue. Can anybody recommend a good adhesive that does not contain formaldehyde? An second option is a floating engineered floor which is my preference. This would avoid adhesive issues with removing the tile. However, I am concern that formaldehyde out-gassing fron the gliue used in the manufacturing process over time trigging my daughters asthma. Are there any brand that don't use formaldehyde based glues? Ceramic tile would be the best solution but not very popular in the northeast for family rooms. Carpet also has formaldehyde issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Prized Contributor

Most quality laminates and floating wood floors (those made in Germany or the US) will be formldehyde free. Stay away from Chinese product.

The finish we use up here has 275 for a VOC rating. Dont know if thats where you want to be, but it works for us. Is called Street-Shoe, by Basic
For a nicer looking finished product, two coats of Emulsion under the streetshoe brings the wood to life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:24 am 
Newbie Contributor

Depends on how sensitive your daughter is. ALL hardwood flooring contains formaldehyde. It's a product of nature.

Glues used in engineered hardwood, if urea-formaldehyde based, will outgass much more formaldehyde than natural wood. Phenol-formaldehyde or no-added-formaldehyde adhesives will emit almost none. Politely disagreeing with dennis, a number of US and European hardwood companies still use UF adhesive in engineered wood. Even so, over time outgassing will decline--it's worst at the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:51 am 
Prized Contributor

Soory treelvr, I should indeed have been more specific in my comment. The products we use are described as "formeldehyde free".
Presumably meaning none added during manufacturing process. Naturally occuring chemicals are just that, and nothing can be done about it.