Amish made hardwood

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood found under carpeting
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:38 pm 
New User

Hi all,
I have a question about the hardwood flooring in my home. I got the house from my parents recently , and we had wall to wall carpeting for at least the last 30 years. We've just pulled it up and found hardwood floors that are in fairly good condition.
Because they're in good condition, I was wondering if there's some way to pep up the floors with waxing or what not. We don't have the money or time to refinish the floors and are uncertain what type of finish is in place. We've tried the water drop test and the water just sits in a bead on top of the wood aand doesn't leave a white mark behind. And we can feel the grain of the wood through whatever finish currently exists. Any thoughts on care for the wood until I can afford to refinish with a polyurethane coating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:03 am 
Most Valuable Contributor

Odds are, the floors have a wax finish on them. While it is possible that they were finished with poly at an earleir time but to be on the safe side, I suggest you perform a thorough cleaning and rewax the floors. This will protect and enhance their appearance for the time being until you are ready to have a full refinish.