Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hardwood install over concrete slab in desert
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:20 pm 
New User

Hi everyone,

I'm a DIYer, interested in installing a wood floor in my house in Las Vegas. A local outlet here says I can glue solid 3/8 Bellawood plank. The slab is 11years old, on grade in the back, sides and slightly above out front. L'll be doing the dining room, living room, hallway and 3 bedrooms.

I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts on their recommendation and any suggestions anyone may have. Thanks in advance

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:21 am 
Prized Contributor

Although they "say" gluing a solid down to concrete is possible, the risks are very high that it will fail.

Many will suggest installing vinyl flooring and then gluing your solid wood to the vinyl.

Most consumers don't understand the expense involved in gluing a solid to the concrete.
Moisture testing the concrete cannot be skipped.
Too much moisture and the vinyl fails and takes the wood with it, with big hollow spots.

Bellawood is a crap shoot! I have seen beautiful wood come from Lumber Liquidators, and then I have seen some stuff that was only good for firewood. Overwood has been the main problem I have seen. Real toe stubbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Perry:

Some will heed our suggestions others will not. I'd be very skeptical of this one unless it's been well acclimated. Probably more than a month considering the source and climate. But then I don't consider any gluedown a DIY project--throw in a solid product to the equation and failure is very likley.

It's your choice Jim

Uptown was created by your administrator, offering my high quality 3/4" engineered floors made in the USA. Unfinished and prefinished.

Profile E-mail