Amish made hardwood

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood leftover
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:59 am 
New User

Question… my contractor quoted me a price for a job about a year ago which I promptly paid for the wood to complete the job along with the finish to secure pricing right before wood prices went sky high. The wood was delivered two weeks ago and has been acclimating inside the house. He says the wood company allows so much overage and anything he doesn’t use he needs to charge me extra for or he takes it with him. I feel like he’s double dipping / stealing what I already paid for. Is this normal? Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hardwood leftover
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:55 pm 
Prized Contributor

As a contractor who puts in your floor, he is responsible to deliver the wood to cover your floor. If he has not ordered enough and is short he will still be responsible to supply the flooring to complete the job. If you bought the flooring and paid for it without assurance of a complete job, you may be responsible to buy more if there is not enough wood purchased.
Just because the contractor itemized the wood for a contract does not mean that you own the extra wood. If a client would like to keep some of the extra wood I will comply with a small request for goodwill. I've come to a prospective job and the owner says "I have some in the attic" or "I have some in the basement", where either area is a poor place for wood storage to use for a patch or a new area.
You have good luck to get a contract before the wood prices went up. Take care for your contractor so he will be of service in the future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hardwood leftover
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:02 pm 
New User

Thanks for the clarification. It just took me by surprise because I thought what was delivered was what I bought and paid for. He’s a great guy, I just wasn’t sure how the process normally works but I’m fine with it. Thanks for the clarification.

Profile E-mail