Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood over 1950's concrete slab
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:48 pm 
Newbie Contributor

No problems yet...but I'm getting scared.

I'd like to rip out the wall-to-wall shag carpet over a concrete slab in a master bedroom, and replace it with the easiest material and method possible (with the exception of linoleum or new carpet).

I'm chemically sensitive and it's important to me that all materials involved be "nontoxic" and noncarcinogenic.

I have no idea of the concrete's condition or whether or not it has a coating. I've read that if it is coated, it will need to be washed in acid before installing hardwood -- which sounds very toxic to me.

I'm a devotee of the "green" buildiing websites, and the ingredients of latex concrete patch and primer, or even a polyethylene moisture barrier all sound toxic to me, too. (These sites recommend staying away from plastics of all kinds).

The existing carpet has been flooded a few times, and in spots it's "crunchy" to the touch. It may not have dried adequately underneath.

I found some parquet at Lowes, and I'd let them do the installation.
I'm wondering what they'll do if they remove the carpet and find serious problems that need "toxic" remedies. Also, I can't see them waiting 48 hours for a moisture test (which I read somewhere is needed).

Are there any solutions out there?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:00 pm 
Most Valuable Contributor

If you're into green building and easy floors to install, why not consider floating floors made from either bamboo or cork. Both are non-toxic materials made from renewable resources and since they are installed by the floating method, there is no need for adhesives and some can be clicked together over their foam or cork underlayment.
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... r/cork.htm
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwo ... neered.htm