Amish made hardwood

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3/4 Hardwood over cork Underlyment and Plywood subfloor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:07 pm 
New User

I am having trouble getting this question answered to give me the confidence that I need to move forward. Here is my situation. I am installing 3/4 inch pre-finished hardwood on the first floor of my home. I have a plywood sub-floor and would like to reduce or eliminate the noise transfer between the floor and the basement level of the house. I have been told that I can install one of many different products. Cork, Dinoflex (like a recycled tyre material) etc. I was advised of the following methods and need to know which is correct or perhaps favourable.

1) Install the cork over the plywood sub-floor with glue (Bostic) and then glue down the hard wood using a higher end Bostic glue.

2) Install the cork over the plywood sub-floor (no glue) and then nail down (no glue) the hard wood over the cork.

3) Install the Dinoflex (recycled tyre material) with glue and glue down and nail the hard wood over the Dinoflex .

Again, not sure which is correct or best. We are simply trying to reduce as much noise between the two levels of the house? ]

[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:16 pm 
Prized Contributor

#1 is a no-no with ¾" solid. A thinner solid you might get away with the full glue.

#2 is do-able, but I would glue the cork down.

#3 is also acceptable