Amish made hardwood

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood Restoration Surprise!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:06 am 
New User

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review this note.

Recently, I pulled up a 50+ year old carpet from a same year old 3-bdrm ranch-style home . Upon padding removal in the livingroom, I found the remittance of a front entrance "separator". Not being an astute contractor, the following maybe normal or it may be a "omg!, what were they taking when they did that?" Maalox moment, so bear with me.

In place of the location where the separator wall once stood is a cut out of the hardwood floor. In place of the cutout of a piece of Pine CDX. What I believe makes the issue more challenging is the uneven nature of the hardwood floor cuts. The dimensions are: 81.5" by 6"

Here's my question: How can I restore the floor to the original look - as easily as possible with the following caveat: hardwood board replacement is a last choice.

I have read options about using hardwood flooring from a closet - cutting them out for use in the repair. My concern is cutting the hardwood floor again only leads to yet another point of damage to the original hardwood floor.

Does anyone have an idea or option to address this issue??

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hardwood Restoration Surprise!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 pm 
Prized Contributor

You need to investigate whether the flooring is still available. Taking flooring out of a closet is a last resort. Weaving in or lacing with staggered butt-joints will be the best solution if the flooring is still in alignment. No matter what you will need to sand the patch and to make everything look right the whole area needs to be sanded and refinished after the patch.

Profile E-mail