Amish made hardwood

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hardwood versus laminate in a below grade basement
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:45 pm 
I live in a maritime climate in Canada (Newfoundland). We are renovating a 50 years old house and currently working on the basement, which is below grade. Few points of interest. The concrete floor is not level. I am putting down 1 x 4 strpping on 12 inch centers (sound excessive, but we have a bunch of teenagers in out house and I want something solid) and levelling as I go. Some places no shims and other as high as 1 1/2 inches. On top is 3/4 inch plywood. There is no apparent signs of moisture, but we use a de-humidifier because it feels "damp". No vapour barrier used. I would like to use a pre-finished oak floor versus laminate - upstairs is all oak hardwood and this would be good continuation. I have haerd that hardwood below garde could be a problem, but have also heard horror study about laminate. Seeking any advice anyone can offer. I have read other messages and some have written about moisture tests. Why and how and do I need to??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:24 am 
Never install a laminate below grade! It will grow and buckle. The seams will eventually distort too.

You have to go to great lengths to install a engineered hardwood in a below grade installation.

Never install a solid hardwood below grade! It will cup and buckle.

Moisture, is wood floorings demise.